What color pattern is this?

spiritdance

Songster
9 Years
Dec 13, 2010
Hi. I'm new here and a fairly new chicken "addict." I recently hatched my first batch of eggs from my flock of RIR roos, BR hens, two white silkies, a red bantam cochin, and a gold laced bantam cochin. The gold laced is a hen, and she won't let any roo breed her except my white silkie (can't blame her ... he's a handsome devil!!). Anyway, I hatched three of the eggs from this romance and the chicks all have 5 toes, so Davie (my silkie roo) is definitely the culprit, and his "kids" are gorgeous (yes, I'm partial). The thing is, i don't really know what color to call them! They started out with black wings and back and dark red legs, head and tail, but as they're feathering in, they're going black with a wonderful, lacy pattern of white on their chest and wings (so far). I hope some of you can tell enough from my description and the somewhat grainy pics below to help me out here. What should I call these darlings, and how much more should I expect them to change as they grow? Any easy ways to tell roos from pullets? I've heard that females from silkie crosses have light skin. Is this true? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

73766_chest_lydia_davie_x.jpg

73766_lydia_davie_x.jpg

73766_wing_lydia_davie_x.jpg

The pic's are way to blurry to tel the difference between, Mottled, Spangled or laced or anything else, a better pic if you have one handy would help us better.

AL

Can anyone tell me if it's true that silkie cross females have pink skin and males have spotted or dark skin? If so, I've got three pullets
lol.png

Mutts are good ... I hear silkie mutts are very broody, and I could use some broody hens.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom