What color(s) will I get from a comet/BA crossing?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by rachiegirl, Jul 31, 2010.

1. rachiegirl

rachiegirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    Beaver Co. PA
    I think this is the right place for this question.
    I have a Comet roo and 2 Black Australorp hens, all hatchery birds, and their eggs are in the bator. What colors can I expect chicks to be?

Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
  2. rachiegirl

Apr 6, 2009
    Beaver Co. PA
    I tried the chicken calculator....but I didn't know what to put for the roo color.

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Sex-link males are het for the sex-linked gene (either barred or silver).

4. rachiegirl

Apr 6, 2009
    Beaver Co. PA
    I feel like such a twit, but I have no idea what that means. So I could end up with barred or silver chicks even though a comet is a red roo x white hen and BA are all black?

5. Sonoran Silkies

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Sorry. There are black sexlinks, based upon the barring gene and red sexlinks, based upon the silver/gold gene. Comets are a red sexlink.

Sexlinks are based upon a gene in which males have two copies and females only one. The mother needs to carry the dominant allele and the father be pure for the recessive allele. The daughters end up with the recessive allele and the sons with one dominant and one recessive. A 2nd generation cross does not work because the males are split, so they can give either allele to offspring, and it is not gender based. And also, the daughters can only give a recessive allele to their sons.

I guess for the cocks you cold indicate buff, then change gold to golden (split S/s+). Or start with the cross that made the comet (red male and columbian? girl), then pick a son to carry on.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2010
  6. rachiegirl

Apr 6, 2009
    Beaver Co. PA
    Well that stinks, if I did it right I think I'll end up with all the chicks being black. I was hoping for a bit of variety at least.

7. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Do you have a pic of your roo ? Is he white with red or white with black ?

Since Golden comet hens are usually red and white ( from dominant White) the the roos would have dominant white too so if he is I think that would make about half of the chicks, white with black dots all over them ( from the dom white) and the other half would would be probably black with leakage.

8. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Well, here's what I figger on them there genes.
    #1 Ifuns ya wear 'em too tight, they pinch yer belly.
    #2 Chickens should not have genes, they look best in Bermuda shorts.
    #3 Caution... they may be "Gene Gene the Dancing Machine"

Sorry, got carried away. [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Sonoran Silkies

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
  10. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:arrrgh. No.

Red sex-linking does not work if dominant white is involved. The dominant white will show on pullets as well as on cockerels. See https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=261208

A
    bird who is black (E/?) and also dominant white (I/?) is not white with black spots.

arrrrgh Yes it does. In the case of Red Sexlinks, as long as the male is pure for gold and the female has silver genes, it doesnt matter if they have dominant white or not. Like RIW hens are Dominant white with Silver genes and when bred to say a RIR male, they produce sexlinks and the females are the red columbian pattern, but the black is replaced with the dominant white.

Same if you use like a Red Pyle rooster ( Dominant White diluted Red Duckwing but he is still pure for gold genes ) and breed him to a silver hen, it will technically make sexlinks, the white would just make it hard to sex the offspring.

But weather or not sexlinkage will work is not even in question in this case, the OP wants to know what to expect from crossing a Golden Comet rooster on BA hens, and if like most golden commets, the rooster the OP has contains dominant white, then and if bred to a black, then a percentage of the offspring will be mostly solid white and in my experience with crossing with dominant White ( solid and patterned) the chicks generally have black spots on them.

And when crossing a Comet hen ( Dom White patterned Red Columbian ) with a RIR roo ( Red Columbian) and the chicks come out half and half , white red columbian, black red columbian, but of course, not sexlinked. So I figure in with using a Comet roo instead of pullet, then half should get the dom white and half shouldnt, like when using the Commet pullets.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by