1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What color/sex is this Polish bantam?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mama24, Jun 6, 2011.

1. mama24

mama24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    It's body is mostly white, with red and black neck, head, wings and tail. Is it some kind of mix? Girl or boy? Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. smokeykk

smokeykk Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    It looks like a boy to me. How old is it? [​IMG]

3. mama24

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    I think about 8 weeks. Might be off by a week or 2, I'm bad at keeping track! I got him in April.

Darn! I was hoping I was wrong and he was a girl, but I've known he was a boy since the start. He just has that roo attitude. lol. He is my smallest bantam, though, and not really a favorite. I wonder if anyone will want him? I have too many cockerels!

4. Hegatha

Hegatha Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2011
    Washington
    I say pullet it doesnt have any redness showing yet and the feathers and crest look rounded. Better pics would help.

5. mama24

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    The crest is very round and swept back. Straight up in the front then swept back. No red at all yet in the almost nonexistent comb. The comb is still just 2 little triangular flaps you have to dig for to find. I have a sultan pullet the same age though and her pouf is so big she can't see anymore! So I thought maybe that meant boy, but this chick is the slowest to grow and feather out out of all I've ever had. So maybe it is a she and just slow to develop. I'll try to get better pics later. Thanks!

6. mama24

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    Here are some better pictures. Looking at the pics, I'm noticing more. I guess those legs are pretty skinny for a roo aren't they? So why is there such a huge developmental difference between this one, my sultan, and my silkies? THey are all the same age. Do Polish tend to grow more slowly?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's a trip down memory lane. Here were these 2 when they were a few days old! ROFL! Still inseparable, and the Polish still has that weird stance! ROFL!
    [​IMG]

7. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    I say pullet on the polish

8. mama24

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    Thanks! So any idea on what the heck they were trying to breed for color? B/c she just looks like a mishmash to me. [​IMG] But she's a good pet, fun to look at. And if she's a layer, not a crower, we can keep her! [​IMG]

9. ramirezframing

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    I think she would a tolbunt polish? (spelling)

10. ramirezframing

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    If it is a HE I would love to have him! I'm in Fayetteville NC [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by