What color silkie chick is this?

adorable

Songster
12 Years
Aug 7, 2007
near ottawa ontario
3475_6_chick_light_color.jpg

I hope you can see it ok. It is only 4 days old. The yellowish color is going to be white but there is a light color on top of it. Almost like a grey color in spots. It is really hard to explain i hope the picture will tell what i am try to say

If your peep looks like this then it is a silver gene white. I have a bunch of these hatch out each year.

004-3.jpg

Chances are it will grow up to look like this. The bird on the right is a double silver gene white.

003-2.jpg

Thanks. Mine is more of a grey color. But i do have another one looks like that one...Thanks for showing me. The one that has the silver gene on the right. Does it look more of a off white in the sun. Cause in the pic. I just looks white. What color would you breed that color to?

For those who breed silkies, is it true that whites with the silver gene are not as prone to yellowing?

Last edited:
Briarpatch, that older boy is an F1 breeding, the little one is F4. It started with birds from Joe Hadden, Melanie Smith and Kate Morreale several years ago.

adorable, its difficult to catch that gray color in a photo. The shading you see on the boy on the right is actually a gray color. He hatched looking like that chick, as they mature the color becomes a more uniform dove gray color. He is white and would be bred to a white. The boy standing tail to tail with him is a full brother who is not showing that gray color but the more intense white of a double silver gene.

ultasol, I do not find that to be true. My silver gene white birds sun burn just like my other whites. Although at this point I might have only one bird in the coop that is not a double silver gene bird. There is a difference in the white from one to the other.

Back
Top Bottom