1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What color silkie is this ?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by briana1975, May 4, 2009.

1. briana1975

briana1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Carleton Mi.
    We got 3 silkies from Ideal with our order. They are the boys' pet chicks. They wanted blue silkies, but those were sold out and Mom subsituted grey silkies. I thought close enough. These are just pets and hopefully broodies. They all looked the same as little chicks but now that they are feathering out we have a strange one. Let me know what someone, anyone thinks this color is supposed to be.
    This is the little strange one we are unsure about.
    [​IMG]
    This is what the other 2 look like, grey.
    [​IMG]

2. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    top one is partridge, the lower blue? with the partridge you can sex them a little earlier the girls get strippy, were the boys have a more solid color

3. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    The first one is partridge and the second one is grey.

4. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    The second one has a roostery looking tail, IMHO.

5. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Quote:These birds are way too young to sex, and until the birds are several months old, the tail of the males and females are indistinguishable, with few exceptions.

6. briana1975

Feb 23, 2009
    Carleton Mi.
    I was just wondering on the color of that 1st one. It looks so diffrent than the other greys we ordered. I am pretty sure one of the silkies is a roo. It is challenging all the RIR roos. He gives them a run for their money.

7. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Quote:These birds are way too young to sex, and until the birds are several months old, the tail of the males and females are indistinguishable, with few exceptions.

[​IMG]

8. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Top one is a partridge pullet--look at the patterning on the wings.

Bottom one is grey.

9. briana1975

Feb 23, 2009
    Carleton Mi.
    Quote:Do you think it is a pullet? It is only 5 weeks old. But it is much smaller than the others and in real life her wings almost look barred.

10. Dustin Biery

Dustin Biery Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Mulberry, Arkansas
    Do the greys have a pattern as well, because I can see a pattern on the second one's wings as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by