what color silkie is this?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by neVar, Jul 24, 2011.

1. neVar

neVar Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Dundurn, Sask
    Picked up 4 silkie hens.

SO question bird 1 suposed to be black- but is very blue underneath so it t blue? (I dont' care just asked for 3 different birds LOL that weren't white)
    [​IMG]

but maybe she s a black just not that inky? there's NO red to her coat at all
    wish had a better color to show the blue i'm seeing
    [​IMG][/img]

Then the mystery free girl- she was being picked on so she offered her to me- she called her a grey

close up
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Orpimom

Orpimom Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2011
    Quote:#1 is black,just a washed out version. On some the more poof the undercoat tends to be lighter.I have a roo that is the same way.You think he's blue,but next to an actual blue he's just washed out kinda.
    Here's a couple examples... The first is black,but looks blue.The next pic is her with a blue sis...
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

#2 is definately grey. the barring pattern is indicitive of a grey. (which you could call silver partridge - in silkies)

#1 its hard to tell.... I had a blue rooster that was so dark he looked black until in direct sunlight, you could tell then he was actually blue. A better picture that isn't shaded or washed out by bright light would do well to tell color. (also say just out of direct sunlight facing the camera away from the sun, set the silkie in front of a solid background - white, light blue, or pink... for contrast)

However looking at the color of the feet and beak, I would say shes black. - blue silkies tend to have lighter shaded skin then blacks.

4. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    Blue under coat tells me the bird is blue. I just went through this with one that was so dark it was black with the green sheen, he produced all blue chicks.

5. neVar

neVar Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Dundurn, Sask
    new pics of the 'black' bird. f she was a poodle i'd say she's blue- but she doesn't have lghter face like a poodle would LOL so she'd maybe be bad black. course she's not a poodle LOL
    [​IMG]

6. gumbii

gumbii Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2010
    bell gardens, ca
    looks like the first one is barred, and the second is a blue...

but i'm not good with silkies...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by