1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What color Silkie rooster would you choose?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by rickschicksfarm, Dec 15, 2012.

1. rickschicksfarm

rickschicksfarm New Egg

Sep 1, 2012
    I'm wanting to breed the silkies I have to improve type while selling culls as pet quality. I would really like to keep a variety of colors. I have at least one rooster and one pullet of each of the following colors: White, Black, Partridge, Buff, and blue. I only want to keep 2 roosters for breeding. I unfortunately don't know what the base color of the white pair is. So, if you had to choose 2 roosters to keep...what colors would you recommend. Thanks!!

2. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    For proper, recognized varieties, the only birds of the varieties you listed that can be grouped together are black and blue. Buff, partridge and white need their own like to like breeding pens.

3. ve

ve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Palmetto GA
    If you keep the Partrige one, his babies will have their mother's colors-clear white and black,some blues olso, buff will get darker, and the babies from the white hens will depend of the base color the mother cary.
    Black roo-black babies only and some blue from blue hens.
    I will keep one Partrige and one Blue roos.

4. Sonoran Silkies

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    That doesn't make sense. White could be just about anything underneath the white; no telling what you will get except that more white is unlikely, and correct colours are unlikely. Partridge with buff will make smutty babies--too much undercolouring for buff and way too light in colour for partridge. Blue will be a first step towards blue partridge, but it will take a couple for generations before it is correct, and you will not want to breed to the blue again.

5. ve

ve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Palmetto GA
    You are right Sonoran. She or He should keep Partrige and White roos. She/he likes to sell babies of diferent colors not breeding to SOP

6. Sonoran Silkies

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    I did not get that impression. I got that s/he wanted to improve type and cull via pet sales, not deliberately breed miscoloured birds. That s/he wanted to know which varieties could be kept together to produce properly coloured chicks, but keeping the fewest roosters possible,

7. rickschicksfarm

rickschicksfarm New Egg

Sep 1, 2012
    Sonoran Silkies and Chicken Obsessed... Thank you for your thoughts. Obsessed....Yes, that is one of 2 goals. #1 select 1 color that I can work on breeding to SOP while also #2 having a variety of colors to sell (pet quality). I've had many local people asking for silkies. so, for "example" black for SOP. Let black roo breed to black and the other colors. keeping the best chicks from the black to black breeding for SOP. Then every 2 months or so put the rooster selected for non SOP breeding (pet quality) with the girls of different colors to increase variety of colors to sell while growing out the chicks for SOP breeding to select the best and cull. I hope this makes sense. So which color roo would you choose for the SOP breeding and which color roo to give off different colors given the colors of hens that I have. I hop I don't give anyone a headache reading this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by