What Color Silkie?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by EagleTheHenpecked, Apr 3, 2012.

1. EagleTheHenpecked

EagleTheHenpecked Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2011
    Demotte
    I got this guy at my local poultry auction for 7 dollars. He's a silkie Rooster, but i dont know what "color" he is. i'm thinking he's blue but its slightly different than the others i've seen. He might also be Grey. Not completely sure. two other questions also. His crest has been cut back it seems, but i dont see any pin feathers that would indicate the crest growing back. is it possible he'll stay this way? Also, He is EXTREMELY tame. lets the other girls eat before him. really gentle when treading, ect. I'm thinking that he was trained for show by his previous owner. is he show quality? Thanks in advance for any comments or opinions.

[​IMG]

Closer one of his comb and wattles.
    [​IMG]

2. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    cant see color well as the pics have an odd color to them, but he is not sq but a very good roo to the ladies

3. Lacrystol

Lacrystol Hatching Helper

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    I'm tossing up two different colors, either blue or partridge, can't really tell because of the lighting in the pic.. Try taken a picture of him outside with the sun reflexing off of him.. HE is pretty though..

4. EagleTheHenpecked

Oct 7, 2011
    Demotte
    would it be worth it to use him to breed? I'm getting some hatchery blue silkies in a few weeks and i'd like to start breeding them. but as they say: garbage in, garbage out. I'm wondering if it would be better to just bite the bullet and buy a really good SQ rooster. Either way he's a cool addition to my flock.

5. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    Humm, how does his toes look? I don't see the blue earlopes, I see red instead. Would be great to see better bighter pictures though. To give more details, he looks young, so he hasn't fully developed..

6. EagleTheHenpecked

Oct 7, 2011
    Demotte
    He has 5 well formed toes. and yeah, he has red earlobes. i'll take more pictures when i get home from school. They told me he was a year old when i got him. in natural light he looks more like a blue but he still has a lot of grey. almost like a dark blue for chickens (if that even exists). My mom picked up some bantam chicks from TSC and one of them is a white silkie, but it has 6 toes so i'm not sure what to do with that one either...

7. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    Well from what I was told you can breed out the 6 toes to have normal toes, that's not heriditary, the red ear lobes, not sure if that's a genetic thing or not. I can find out though.

8. EagleTheHenpecked

Oct 7, 2011
    Demotte
    this picture shows his feet pretty well. i forgot that i took this one. 5 toes and a spur haha.

[​IMG]

9. mama24

mama24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    I don't think he's pure silkie, though. He looks to me like he has something with a straight comb in his family tree, probably not far back. Probably 1 parent was half silkie, the other parent was full silkie, iykwim.

10. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    Red earlobes is heriditary, however, you can breed it out, not sure how long it would take to do so.. But he is a cutie....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by