What color variant is this little guy?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by peewee, Sep 15, 2009.

1. peewee

peewee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2008
    Orlando, Florida
    I bought eight more quail over the weekend and have been able to identify all but this one. What color do you call this little guy?
    [​IMG]

2. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    Looks like a golden to me.

Edit: cortunix, if it's a button wait for a 2nd opinion.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
  3. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    It's a golden coturnix, aka golden speckled, aka golden manchurian....all the same thing [​IMG] Not a button by any means [​IMG]

4. peewee

Sep 25, 2008
    Orlando, Florida
    Thanks saddina and shelley. I had a feeling it was a golden but could not find a pic that really looked like him. The closest I got was monarcs pic in her sticky. Just wanted to know what kind of girls I need to get for him.

5. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:You can get just about any color girls. Golden is incomplete dominant over just about any color except rosetta. So if you had rosetta hens, most of the chicks would be rosetta, if you have brown hens most would be golden with a few browns, and A&M hens would give you golden chicks. I'm not sure if rosetta and tibetan have the same genetic make-up, so I don't know what colors would come of that.

But you can get either brown or golden hens to get mostly golden chicks.

6. Emilys3guppies

Emilys3guppies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2009
    Toronto
    Very pretty colour! I love the look of goldens!

7. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    Quote:I didn't think it was, but I've never seen a button in person so.... [​IMG]

8. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:I didn't think it was, but I've never seen a button in person so.... [​IMG]

I've never seen a button that color, and I have just about any color button you could imagine! There are some that are similar, but not with those spots. [​IMG]

9. peewee

Sep 25, 2008
    Orlando, Florida
    Thanks for the info Shelley. I was kinda hoping I would have an excuse to go out and buy some more quail [​IMG] but I really do have enough brown girls to go with my little guy.

10. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Well browns with him will give you about 2 golden chicks for every 3 eggs. So if you want to make sure you have nothing but goldens hatch, you can still get some more. Plus, who needs an excuse? They don't eat much, and are pretty cool! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by