What color variations of Silkie can I cross with other breeds to make sex-linked offspring?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Gman7329, Feb 13, 2014.

1. Gman7329

Gman7329 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2014
    I understand how red and black sex links work, and Dominant, Codominant, and Recessive genes work. I just want to know the genotypes of some Silkie colors and some other breeds so I can make some sex linked crosses. For example, a Recessive White Silkie roo to a Light Sussex hen is a sexlink known as a Goldtop. I believe a Silverduckwing roo to a Buff Silkie hen is also sexlinked? I need confirmation on that. All help is appreciated.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Do a search for username nicalandia, he had some posts about making sex links with a silkie roo over any yellow-skinned hen, if I recall. He posts a lot in the genetics section so you may have to search back a ways, or maybe PM him.

3. Gman7329

Feb 6, 2014
    Thanks!

4. dheltzel

dheltzel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Nov 30, 2013
    Pottstown, PA
    I am going to try to create black sex linked silkies by crossing a cuckoo hen to a black roo. This should give black hens and cuckoo roos with a white spot on their head when born.

Now, what can I do with the male chicks? I guess I can give them away.

5. Gman7329

Feb 6, 2014
    Cool! Well good luck with that! :D

6. Gman7329

Feb 6, 2014
    [/CODE]
    Wouldn't you be able to do the same thing with a buff roo? And a red sex link by doing Buff roo to a Dominant red hen?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
  7. dheltzel

dheltzel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Nov 30, 2013
    Pottstown, PA
    Lacking actual experience, I'm using this post to get my information on the genetics: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/261208/sex-linked-information

As I understand this, a black sex link (using a barred/cuckoo hen to a non-barred cock) is a lot more likely to work. A red sex link needs a silver hen with a red cock, and a lot of other genes can interfere with this combo. There are 3 sex linked genes that have been proven to work (the other being speed of feather growth). I know cuckoo exists in silkies (because I have some). I don't know if any of the other colors have the right genes present in both allele types. Barring is the only one that is fairly easy to see the genotype because it's dominant and no other gene makes that phenotype.

As someone else mentioned, nicalandia would be a better source of info. I understand the theory, but have no actual experience, a sort of dangerous place to start acting as some sort of authority. So take my advice as worth what it costs you ;)

8. donrae

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    You can put buff over barred/cuckoo and get a black sex link, but for red sex links the hen needs to be silver factor, not red. I'm not sure if a buff rooster would work or not as the sire--Tim's chart would tell you.

My understanding is with some of the red sex link crosses, the birds are genetically sex linked, but the down color on the chick makes it too difficult to visually sex them at hatch.

Okay, here's what I was thinking, from Tim's post...

(1) Buff birds may be used in sex linked crosses but the light gold down expression by female chicks is more difficult to classify. Buff birds may also contain mahogany but in buff birds the mahogany does not heighten the expression of gold in the down.

9. Gman7329

Feb 6, 2014
    It would be a black sex link since Buff is the Wheaten gene. Wheaten on Cuckoo is a sex linked cross. I know about my mistake with the red sex link, was a typo. I meant Dominant White Hen, the silver gene. So you're saying the Female and Male chicks would be sex linked, but becuse of the down color, it would be to difficult to specify the gender?

10. donrae

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    apparently using a buff bird in a red sex link would make it hard to tell the genders at hatch, per Tim. I have no experience with that. Using a buff roo over a barred/cuckoo hen gives easy to see sex links.

You don't want dominant white for red sex links, that's why he says white Rocks are a bad choice. Dominant white covers other colors hiding underneath, and white Rocks are often hiding barring. You want silver factor hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by