What color wil my wee baby chickie be???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by MamaMarcy, Jun 4, 2012.

1. MamaMarcy

MamaMarcy Songster

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    [​IMG]1 day old...not even...and so stinking CUTE. Has fluffified to a pretty striking yellow underside with black on top (deep gray/black?)

Papa rooster is a white frizzled bantam cochin (with a single barred black/white feather) and mama hen is a splash bantam cochin (who came from a batch of eggs that were for lemon blue splits but all 5 that hatched were splash).

I am so in love with this fuzzlebutt!!! And whatever color s/he turns into colors right now are so strikingly cute!

[​IMG]

Mamas/Papa
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]l

2. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Songster

May 1, 2011
    My first guess is blue :) I can't wait to see him in a few weeks :) He's adorable.

3. MamaMarcy

MamaMarcy Songster

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    Hes so cute I can barely stand it. I had to help him hatch...only PIP'd egg int he nest....and his membrane dried half way out and he was so weak. I put him under mama hen, who promptly tired to eat him. He's int he incubator now, has taken all day to perk up. I'm hopeful at this point.

4. Aschenfire

Aschenfire Songster

Feb 8, 2012
    Logically I'd go with blue as well. Splash crossed with a lot of colors makes blue...it depends what colors your roo carries under that white, but I'm laying moneys on blue.

5. MamaMarcy

MamaMarcy Songster

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    since it's 2 colors now should I expect 2 tones/colors as it matures?

the roo has been bred with barred rocks before and those babies ALL looked barred rock LOL. Like the roo had none of his own genetics to contribute other than attitude.

6. MamaMarcy

MamaMarcy Songster

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    Little peep seems weaker...I suspect she won't make it thru the night :(

7. hdowden

hdowden Crowing

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    reminds me of mottled

8. MamaMarcy

MamaMarcy Songster

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    mottled? what is that?

chickie is looking much better...

9. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    I tried using the "chicken calculator". It shows that a recessive white male and splash female will produce all blue chicks.

10. aoxa

aoxa Crowing

[​IMG] This is one of my mottled Houdans (mottling looks the same on most breeds - if not all) [​IMG] Mottling colour @ 13 weeks :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: