What color will my naked neck be?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hd_darcy, May 20, 2010.

1. hd_darcy

hd_darcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Okay, he started off all white, and is now getting some orange in him. Will he continue to turn orange, or what happens next? I'm very curious. Thank you!!!

BTW, he's about 6 weeks old [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 20, 2010
  2. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    I'm thinking buff maybe ?

3. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Ya maybe buff with white tail, or a variation of white laced buff.. May or may not get patches of much darker buff/orange on wing patch when adult. He will be nice looking...

If you want to try for solid whites, breed him with solid black birds.

4. hd_darcy

Apr 28, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Very interesting on how to get whites!! Thank you guys for the help! I'm excited to see how he will be when he's big. He's our very first chicken (now I have ...ten more) [​IMG]

5. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    I'm guessing he has the Dominant White gene. This white "covers" black pigments very well.. but does not "cover" the buff/gold/red series of pigments very well. Examples of this are the red sex links with white tails- its the DW gene changing the black tail to white while leaving the red body mostly unaffected. Also red pyles, most of their black have been changed to white.. leaving the roosters with mostly white body with red on necks and wings/saddles. Etc.

So, cross with a black chicken.. most black chickens have the dominant kind of black.. which means most of the babies will be mostly black. However, if you use your rooster on a black hen, his dominant white gene will "turn" those black babies into white chickens.

Same thing, if you breed him with a RIR, a lot of the chicks will turn out red bodied with white tails..

Ooh just remembered another example- Buff Laced Polish are really just Gold Laced with dominant white added.. which causes the black lacing to turn white.

It's a fun gene to play with. [​IMG]

p.s. the other verison of white is called Recessive White. It does a much better job at turning a chicken solid white.. examples are Silkies. In a cross, with this kind of white, none of the chicks will turn out white.

6. hd_darcy

Apr 28, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Wow, you are just loaded with knowledge!!! [​IMG] Thank you so much for all the info!

7. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    Looks like a red pyle colour, but he is pretty [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by