What color will my Silkie be?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by chicknfun, Mar 24, 2012.

1. chicknfun

chicknfun Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2012
    Bunnell, FL
    I bought a silkie bantam chick 3 days ago, and it is a really light butter yellow, but on the rump it is sort of a greyish tint to the yellowy color. Do white silkies start from light yellow chicks, or maybe it will turn out to be Buff? The chick is maybe 7 or 8 days old.
    I'm so new to chickens, that my hubby had to remind me to look at its legs to tell if it was a silkie...LOL We got them out of a bin marked "assorted bantams".

I don't even really care what color it turns out to be, I just love that i ended up with a silkie bantam without even trying!!
    I'm going to post the pic but not sure if the color will show well. The chick in question is the one on the far left. As I suspected, the color is washed out in the photo. The chick rear at the bottom of the photo is a white leghorn, and it really is yellow. The silkie is basically the same color, but with that grey tinge to its rump.... Thanks in advance!!

[​IMG]

2. BirdyMe

BirdyMe Chillin' With My Peeps

Sometimes it can be hard to tell with Silkies when they're babies- whites, light buffs, and light blue splashes can all look a lot. You have to remember that sometimes a greyish tinge can come from their dark skin underneath showing through.

From underneath, I'll guess that you're little guy is going to be a white. :)

3. chicknfun

chicknfun Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2012
    Bunnell, FL
    Cool, I hope so, I have a young silkie already that is supposed to be black, but to me it looks blue. So, any other color is fine by me, but I thought it would be cool to have a white one and a black one. I did think about the skin color showing through, but when looking at it from the side , it still has that grey-ish color. No matter, this little tiny chicken is so sweet and cute!! The light color will contrast well with the darker one!

Thank you!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by