what color will they be?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by loiseee, Sep 26, 2011.

1. loiseee

loiseee Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2011
    mena, arkansas
    Hi,

I have a few questions about colors, I have bought chicks or most colors of the bantam cochins, have hatched out a very few, I am trying to learn as much as I can. Is the a site that shows new ckicks and their colors and what color they will be when grown? This is why I am asking, I have a trio of black mottleds, hens were laying in one nest so split them up each with half the eggs. so far I have 6 new babies today, but am not sure as they are different colored than the others I hatched out of the same birds. i thought black x Black = black. anyone want to guess for me.
    I do not know how to post pictures yet, cut can private.

Thanks

Lois

2. loiseee

Jul 7, 2011
    mena, arkansas
  3. I-Have-Happy-Hens

I-Have-Happy-Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Carrboro, NC
  4. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    Lois,

They look like mottled chicks to me. Mottled chicks can vary in the amount of white/cream down they express.

Ancona are mottled also- mottled chicks should look alike. That is mottling on a black ground color.

Tim

Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
  5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Looks like Mottled Cochins. [​IMG]

6. loiseee

Jul 7, 2011
    mena, arkansas
    Thanks to all of you. I only have bantam cochins, and the trio is in a pen by themselves. had another one hatch last night, very light gray, and another one pipped while I went to town.

Again, Thanks.

Lois

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by