What color will they be ??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Flying Chicken in the sky, Mar 17, 2012.

1. Flying Chicken in the sky

Flying Chicken in the sky Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2011
    I bought some chicks from Runnings. I was wondering what color the Ameraucana chicks will be when they grow up. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 17, 2012
  2. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

are they americana or EE? the first one looks like it will be the common EE Coloring which is like Golden Duckwing...could be wrong

The 2nd idk

3. Flying Chicken in the sky

Aug 14, 2011
    Thanks for the reply!

I bought them from Runnings and the metal tub they had them said "Ameraucana" on it... so they must be.

4. madamwlf

madamwlf Nevermore Acres

Aug 22, 2010
    Mount Airy, MD
    Many hatcheries sell EEs as Ameraucanas but they aren't. True Ameraucanas can only be gotten from breeders. IMO EEs are better. They come in so many more colors. Beautiful chicks.

1 person likes this.
  5. stephanie1992

yup there EEs lol. As the last poster said hatcherys Only sell EEs but miss lable them. EEs are better in ways. They are healthier and lay soo many differnt colored eggs and come in soooo many colors. I have no idea what color the 2nd chick will be. Might turn out white with black through its feathers or like a culumbian color...just a guess lol

6. Flying Chicken in the sky

Aug 14, 2011
    Thank you for the info! I guess hatchery chicks are very poor quality. I have an EE that I really like.. so I totally know what you mean lol!

7. stephanie1992

Post pics of them in a few weeks after they get there wing feathers and some feathering on there body. [​IMG]
    Maybe we can help more then with color

8. Flying Chicken in the sky

Aug 14, 2011
    Yes I'll do that. The 2nd one is already getting feathers on it's wings. It looks like black and white pattern?

9. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop

Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
  10. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    I'm with Happy Chooks, I also have a flock of EE's and starting a flock of Lavender Ameraucana I hatched two weeks ago. EE's are lovely little birds, once they find out you are the treat dispenser they come running from far and wide. They are very hardy in my opinion, mine foraged even with two feeders in their run, all winter long. You will love them and their eggs.
    Michele

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by