What color will this runner duckling grow up to be? Is that a crest?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by PaulX, Feb 20, 2019.

1. PaulX

PaulX Songster

Nov 15, 2018
    Hello,

I just hatched out this runner duckling. It's a color I haven't seen before. I'm guessing it will become a fawn&white. Which color will it become?

In addition, is that a crest I'm seeing? It can only be seen on one side, but I know crests can be off-center. I really hope it's not as I don't want a duck with neurological problem, but this little guy is the only 'fawn&white' I have now.

Thank you.

IMG_20190220_162011c.jpg
    IMG_20190220_162044.jpg

IMG_20190220_162414.jpg

2. cottontail farm

cottontail farm Songster

Dec 26, 2014
    Rural NW Pa
    oh, baby ducks are adorable. I had fawn & white runners awhile back and I don't recall their faces/bills being that dark when they were babies. They were nearly all yellow, so that stripe by his eyes confuses me.
    It does look like a little crest, doesn't it? Where did you get the eggs from? Is he acting normally?

3. PaulX

PaulX Songster

Nov 15, 2018
    I got them from a farm 800 kms south of me. The guy did say he keeps the crested and non-crested ducks together so when I asked for non-crested he said it's up to luck.

The duckling seems healthy for now.

Ok so maybe it's not a fawn&white. The stripe on its eyes does look like a mallard but it looks more grey-fawn rather than dark brown.

4. crazy4ChickensNducks

crazy4ChickensNducks Songster

Dec 16, 2018
    west, michigan
    That black stripe on its face makes it look like A Rouen

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia ~Delight yourself in the Lord~

Yes that is a crest very tiny and that doesn’t mean neurological problems. Yes some crested do have issues but we can’t lump them all in there . Hopefully you’ll start your new babies on Nutritional yeast mixed into their feed right off which is very important. For leg strength and brain health. Such a precious little one.

6. WannaBeHillBilly

WannaBeHillBilly Free Ranging

Sep 2, 2018
    Big Chimney, WV
    My Coop
    My Fawn and White Runners last year were all yellow as ducklings. Their feet and their bills were a little more orange yellow, but they had no stripes or spots at all. They got their first brown feathers on their bellies and i thought they were dirty… :lol:
    I think your duckling is a mix between Runner and another breed, probably Rouen, Mallard or Khaki Campbell.

Kkrista123, PaulX and quackiemama like this.
  7. Miss Lydia

8. WannaBeHillBilly

WannaBeHillBilly Free Ranging

Sep 2, 2018
    Big Chimney, WV
    My Coop
    Kkrista123 and Miss Lydia like this.
  9. Miss Lydia

Was that the American version? I’ll have to go and read.

WannaBeHillBilly likes this.
  10. MillersFarm

MillersFarm Easily distracted by Chickens

Jun 3, 2016
    Lewiston NY
    where did you get the eggs from? My guess is she's(Or he) a mix.. Probably a mallard x fawn&white runner mix

WannaBeHillBilly and PaulX like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: