What color would a barred rock roo & white rock hen chicks be?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by rcentner, Aug 28, 2010.

1. rcentner

rcentner Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Le Roy, NY
    just as it says in the title, I have barred rocks and white rocks and wondered what I would get should one of the white rocks go broody.

2. Texasboy4ever

Texasboy4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2009
    Greenville,Marietta,SC
    Maybe a Barred white rock or a White Barred Rock

3. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:[​IMG] What are you calling a "Barred white rock". (there is no such breed)

Chris

4. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:They should be White maybe with a black flick here or there..

Chris

5. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Actually White Rocks are generally recessive white so a Barred roo on White Rock hens should give all barred chicks and they would all have one copy of rec white so breeding them together or to the whites would produce a percentage of whites in the second generation .

6. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    I have some chicks from the opposite cross, white Rock rooster over barred and some white hens. I got a few white, lots of barred, two blacks, and one partridge. Unfortunately the other chicks killed the partridge one when it was a couple of days old, and I haven't gotten another one like that to hatch.

7. rcentner

rcentner Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Le Roy, NY
    thanks guys! I hope next spring I get a broody and we can see what I get! Barred would be nice cause my barred hens are not good quality, but the white rocks are better quality. Ideally I would like to get better quality barred's out of the hatch since my roo is real nice quality.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by