What color would the babies turn out to be?

muscovy94

Crowing
14 Years
Nov 11, 2008
Vicksburg, MS
Hey I have a pair of pigeons that have paired up and should be laying eggs any day now. The male is red with a little light blue on his back and the female is black with white flights and white foot feathers. Does anyone know what I should expect the babies to look like? ANyone know which color would be dominant?

Thanks.

18360_moma_pigeon_and_step_dad_001.jpg

18360_moma_pigeon_and_step_dad_004.jpg

The red one is recessive red. The color underneath the RR is blue, although we don't know what pattern. Some babies will be black, and some will be blue of some pattern. All babies will carry recessive red. And like I said before, there is no telling how much white they will have.

Quote:
You have the same case going on. If your cockbird is pure black (having two genes for spread rather than one. Spread is what turns blue birds like your hen, into blacks like your cock), then all the babies will be black. If he only has one gene for it, then you'll get about half blues and half blacks. And of course they will probably produce all splashes or at least pied birds.

I Would think The recessive Red Would be dominant over The Blue Though ? I am Just getting into genetics - so I was just assuming the Red Would Overtake The Blue or Black - Can you explain why Not as i Thought Red was the dominant Color ? Thank You , Peace ! Mike
wink.png

Quote:
You have the same case going on. If your cockbird is pure black (having two genes for spread rather than one. Spread is what turns blue birds like your hen, into blacks like your cock), then all the babies will be black. If he only has one gene for it, then you'll get about half blues and half blacks. And of course they will probably produce all splashes or at least pied birds.

There are three basic color genes - Ash-red, Blue, and Brown.
Ash-red is dominant over blue and brown.
Blue is dominant over brown, but recessive to ash-red.
Brown is recessive to the other two.

Recessive red is a color modifier gene. All it does is cover up the base color. So a bird who is genetically blue, brown, or ash-red, will still appear recessive red if they have two genes for it. Because RR is a recessive gene, you need two copies for it to show, otherwise they are just carrying it to pass along to their children. Also, hens can have two copies of the RR gene, rather than only one, which is the case with base colors.

Soooo the red you are thinking about is ash-red. Which...most people just call it red :p Like red bars and red checks are more correctly called ash-red bars and ash-red checks.

Back
Top Bottom