1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What Color Would You Call This Rooster?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by thecuriouslynx, Feb 4, 2013.

1. thecuriouslynx

thecuriouslynx Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2013
    Hi All,
    New to breeding chickens. This is my EE Ameraucana over achiever boy (he was breeding the girls when he was 3 1/2 months old! My pure Ameraucana rooster is 6 months and I am stillll waiting to witness or see some evidence of him "taking a ride"). This one, Blackbeard, is now about 5 months and is fully enjoying his harem. I kept him because I just love his black
    muffs & beard. Puts any pirate to shame! And very symmetrically shaped and defined in my opinion. I wonder, is this something that he could throw to his offspring? Also, what color would you say this is? Or what description of this color best describes him?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. thecuriouslynx

Jan 13, 2013
    Hi All, I should explain here that I am new to this site also and I realize this is the Breed or Gender area but didn't see another thread that really fit what I was looking for so I have placed my question and pics here. If there is a more appropriate area please point me in the right direction and I will
    resubmit there.
    Thank You!

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

He's gorgeous! That beard really sets off his hackle feathers, which are lovely, like a lion's mane.

It's hard to typify EEs, because they aren't a breed but a mix of breeds; they can be anything with pea combs, slate or green legs, with or without muffs and beards. A common EE pullet color variation is called "partridge" because it matches other breed descriptions of the partridge coloration.

However, the red on his shoulders IS one surefire indication you've got a male EE, and it seldom if ever appears on EE pullets.

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Wow! He is a handsome fellow! Congratulations! Wish I had him!

5. goldfinches

goldfinches Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Maryland
    You're posting in the right section [​IMG]

To answer your question, because he's an EE, there's no way to tell what his offspring will look like, he probably won't breed too true. But, they're sure to be beautiful!

6. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    He has gold duckwing patterning but other stuff is obviously mixed in so you will get some surprises if you breed him.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2013
  7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    My birds that have one bearded easter egger parent and one other non-bearded parent all came out bearded. Then when I put those pullets back under another nonbearded rooster, about half had beards. Is that what you're asking? I love me some puffy cheeks!

He's not any actual color, I call it easter egger color as it's one of the common variations seen on ee roosters. They're sure flashy and you can see how they turn a hen's head!

8. thecuriouslynx

Jan 13, 2013
    Hi there!
    Thank you for the wonderful compliments. He is a wonderful young roo. Already very considerate of his ladies and he is developing his "dance" for them when he wants to mate. I am ok with surprises so I am looking forward to seeing what some crosses will bring. I would love for his black muffs and beard to carry over. His girls both younger and older seem to like him very much. They follow him all over and all 13 are quick to respond when he calls. He is also an egg-laying helper. Making softer encouraging sounds in front of the nest boxes when the girls are getting down to business.
    I will do some breeding experimentation and see what colors he will throw with a few of my different types of hens. Does his body type give any clues to what type/breed of chicken he has in his background?
    Laura G.

9. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    I hope his sweet demeanor carries over, too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by