1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

what colored eggs do bluebells lay

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by philipchickymad, May 16, 2013.

1. philipchickymad

philipchickymad Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    Ireland
    i have just got one bluebell hen and was wondering if anyone knows what coloured egg they lay ??

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    They lay brown eggs, depending on the strain anything from a pinkish light brown to mid-brown.

3. fairytaleeggs

fairytaleeggs New Egg

May 8, 2013
    Staffordshire
    I've just had a bluebell and was wondering if there are any signs as to when she might start laying? She's about 19wks old thanks x

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    [​IMG]

Usually a good sign that hen is approaching lay is their combs and wattles, which will turn a nice bright red, but Bluebells' combs and wattles often do not turn very red, so other signs you can look for is a sudden interest in the nest boxes, singing the "egg song" and (if she'll let you) you can check for widening of her pelvic bones. There's more on how and what to feel for here (scroll to the bottom):

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/chicken-behaviours-and-egg-laying-why-are-my-hens-not-laying

5. philipchickymad

philipchickymad Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    Ireland
    thanks sumi im irish to cmon ireland

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by