1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What colors are my muscovies?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by mrottler, Jun 6, 2011.

1. mrottler

mrottler New Egg

Jun 5, 2011
    I bought these from someone who said they have brown, lavender, and black and rippled. The mom of the babies is the bottom brown one, but the dad I have no idea what color (But not that particular black drake in any case). I see three different colors on the babies, can anyone tell me what they may turn out as? Are the females chocolate and is the striped look on them barred or not? Any thoughts would be welcome!
    [​IMG]

2. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Sorry i don't know but what a GORGEOUS set of ducks! [​IMG]

3. ian4379

ian4379 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    Australia
    you have two chocolate ducks there, the one down the bottom might be barred(hard to tell from the pic). the babies look like blacks and chocolates to me.

4. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    The two adult chocolates look rippled to me, but it's always hard to tell in the pictures. The barred babies are always white with a colored tail, so it doesn't look like you have any barred. But the babies look like chocolates and blacks. The lighter brown one will most likely be the chocolate : )

5. mrottler

mrottler New Egg

Jun 5, 2011
    How would you tell if they are rippled? Would a better photo of some area in particular work, or is there something I should look for? I love genetics, but new to duck genentics! Is there anywhere that compares the color of blue to black to chocolate to lavender ducklings anywhere?

6. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    If you go to google images and type in "rippled Muscovy", then try "barred Muscovy", you can see the difference. The rippled look is more light and dark versions of the same color in a wave'-like pattern. The barred look is usually black and white on the same feather (or blue and white, depends on the color of the bird).

When they are ducklings, the colors can vary. The light brown ones are usually chocolates, the dark brown-blackish ones are black, the gray ones are usually blue, and the lavendar ducklings tend to be yellowish-gray mixed together.

Hope this helps! I am new to this too, but that's what I have found with my birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by