what colors do chickens see?

DotDog

In the Brooder
Oct 11, 2015
My 2, 2 month old Bielefelder hens (or is pullet the correct term? if so till what age do they turn into hens?) only are interested in "Red" colored things, like tomatoes and now watermelon. Is this because chickens only see certain colors?
Lee

Not only can chickens see colors; they see them better than humans do. There is a good article on the superior color vision of chickens at http://www.livescience.com/8099-chickens-color-humans.html. The reason your chickens are reacting to red is that they are associating the color red with food.

X 2 - you can also program them to be adverse to the red. There is a great documentary "The Private Life of Chickens" (it's on Youtube, highly recommend) - where they do a study about how a hen teaches her chicks what to do and they show her teaching them to eat from yellow dishes because that is the color she has been conditioned to associate with desirable feed rather than the red.

Thanks Michael and G Mare! It doesn't explain why they like Red, as their food is white, but I spoke to the prior owner and yes, they love tomatoes so this may explain it.

My other question goes unanswered, when are they "pullets" and when are they "hens", is it age or size?
My Bielefelders seems to eat a lot, a lot of the time! But I understand they are going to be big girls and probably need the feed. Very messy eating too, I think today I am going to try to make the 3 1/2" PVC tube with the "Y" joint for them to eat out of, see if it helps the flinging of food around.
They love the toggle nozzle waterers, good system, the cooler keeps the water fresh and clean and the toggles don't get dirty.
I am going to try to post some photos of them, I cannot tell the difference to name them yet, one seems more brave, but not sure if it is the same one, is there a way I can mark them here at home? I have no bands or know how to do that, is there any way to mark them?
Thanks for all the help!

I know they can see hot pink, brown and black because one of our roosters HATES my pink clogs and leopard print draw string pants when I wear them out to open up the coop in the morning.

Guess he has better taste in clothes than I do!
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom