1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What colors to breed Lavenders too?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by yellowflower, Nov 7, 2009.

1. yellowflower

yellowflower Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    Bradford NH
    I have lavender silkies that I plan on breeding in the spring. I have a black, blue, splash, and white hen. What would be the preferred color to breed to in order to get the best lavenders out of the next breeding? Thanks!

2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Lavender is recessive, so you will not get lavender on the next breeding from breeding to those colors, unless one of them carries the lav gene. Breeding lav to black will produce all black chicks (which carry the lav gene). On 2nd generation, you will start to see some lavenders, either by crossing those chicks back to the parent lav bird or by crossing siblings.

3. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Lavender Gene: lav

The Lavender Gene is a simple recessive gene that dilutes.
    Lavender dilutes black to Pale Grey ('Lavender') and Red to Buff or Cream...
    It works on any base pattern, changing Black birds to Self Lavender, and changing the Millefleur pattern to the Porcelaine pattern..

Chris

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    If you have both male and female lavenders, breed them together and you will get lavenders. Otherwise, read the two posts above.

5. catwalk

catwalk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    Here is the love child between a lavender Silkie and a white Cochin, hatched last night. Blue or black, with white wing-tips. Kinda brassy. Middle toe, under the orthos, is white.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Bottom line: I reccommend against it. Each of these parent birds are now with their "own kind."

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by