what colors to expect with different rocks?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by bmiss, Dec 9, 2011.

1. bmiss

bmiss Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2011
    NE Mississippi
    hypothetical....

have a setup for 2 roos and 16 hens.
    -4 white rock hens
    -4 barred rock hens
    -4 partridege rock hens
    -4 buff rock hens

gonna pick 2 rock roosters ...

which would be the 2 best roos to go with my hens ... ?

what color chicks could i expect using 2 types of roosters with those 16 hens?

(appearance, i like the partridge and the barred the best)...

2. bmiss

bmiss Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2011
    NE Mississippi
    i know that a non-barred male and the barred female will make blk sex link chicks...

but what color chicks would, lets say, a partridge roo and white/buff hens put off?

3. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    White Rocks are recessive white masking another color so theres no way to say for sure what you would get from crossing with them. But for the others

Barred roo with any other the other hens will give chicks that all have barring and their base color will vary depending on the mother and the leakage that comes through. You can get buff leakage from the buff hens, red leakage from the Partridge, and possibly silver leakage if the rooster was silver based.

Partridge Roo with Barred hens would probably make typical looking black sexlinks.

Buff roo with Partridge hens (or vise versa) should give you something some where between the two parent colors, probably something similar in appearance to the Ginger Red color

Buff roo with Barred hens will make Black sexlinks with even greater distiction of the sexes at hatching since the females will have more buff leakage. Look at my pics of my crosses on the second post of this thread to see what you will get from crossing Buff Roos with barred hens. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=375015

If
    I were making the decision for myself, I would personaly probably use a Buff roo and a Barred roo.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  4. bmiss

bmiss Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2011
    NE Mississippi
    ^ thank u....

i still have so much to learn and i appreciate ur response. i think i will do exactly that.

5. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    Quote:I think that the Partridge over White would work great. I think that I read on here that it could produce Red Pyle coloration.
    Also, the Partridge over Buff I think would produce a reddish color. That would be good.

Creating Red Plymouth Rocks and Red Pyle Plymouth Rocks. That would rock!!!!!!

6. pastorwalt

pastorwalt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    There are different routes to a white bird
    It's hard to know what you've got till you test breed
    It takes dominant white to make red pyle
    if the WR are recessive white only, it won't happen.
    My WR (40 years ago) were Barred rocks under the recessive white
    the chicken calculator is fun to use,
    http://kippenjungle.nl/kruising.html
    but some things you don't know till you try
    Walt

7. bmiss

bmiss Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2011
    NE Mississippi
    appreciate it...[​IMG]

8. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:x2. Yep you most likely wouldn't get the red pyle coloration since the white rocks should be revessive white. Like patorwalt said, they first came about as white sports of barred rocks which then they would actually produce black sexlinks when bred to a partridge rock or non barred roo. But these days with hatcheries and all the production breeding, its hard to know what they are carrying. So there may be a possibility of them carrying dominant white as well especially if the line has been grossed with white leghorns at some point. But in general, they aren't known for carrying it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by