What colors will i get when .......

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by poultrykeeper08, Mar 3, 2009.

1. poultrykeeper08

poultrykeeper08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    I cross a Blue muscovy drake with a chocolate hen ?
    A chocolate hen is all i could find for now and my drake was lonly since his mate dissapeared .

But i got some ducklings coming from cottagerose [​IMG]

2. SamG347

SamG347 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    I would think either a Pastel coloration...maybe some Ripple birds? I would think a browner/blue is going to be the result. But that is what I love about genetics...who knows!
    Looking forward to seeing what you hatch...as well with what I hatch!
    [​IMG]

3. OK i looked in the muscovy colors section of Holderread's book.

Blue Fawn: These are the result of combining chocolate with one blue-dilution. (ch/ch, N/n+). Adults are blue brown, with white forewings.
    Lilac: These are the result of combining chocolate with two blue-dilution genes (ch/ch,N/N). Adults are pale lilac with white forewings.

Hope that helps.

4. poultrykeeper08

poultrykeeper08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    Oh thanks alot that helps a bunch [​IMG]

5. shavalgen

shavalgen Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2009
    Obviously the genetics of your chocolates are different to ours in Australia. Here blue to choc results in blacks and blues if the blue used is heterozygous. If homozygous blue then all blue would be the result.

Chocolate in muscovies is both sex linked and recessive. So it should be impossible choc to show in the first cross.

Also blue fawn and lilac do not exist as genes in muscovies. We need to stick to genetic colour names and refrain from using hobby names as this only leads to confusion.

6. Quote:Thanks Shavalgen, I don't know anything about Muscovies, just quoting from Dave Holderread's book. He say this regarding Chocolate:
    "genetically, these are wild type or Black plus chocolate: the latter is preferred for exhibition. Genotype: Wild type except for ch/ch or a/a, ch/ch." Regarding the terminology he states:
    "The APA recognizes only four color varieties of Muscovies: White, Black, Blue, and Chocolate. However, more than two dozen varieties are raised in North America. " He later describes what he terms nonstandard varieties including blue fawn and lilac.
    Perhaps you would like to set him straight on all of this? [​IMG]

http://www.holderreadfarm.com/literature_page/literature.htm

7. shavalgen

shavalgen Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2009
    In muscovies, the genes involved are :

wild type /white winged black
    atipico (recessive) a/A+
    barring (recessive) b/B+
    brown rippled (recessive) br/Br+
    chocolate (sex linked recessive) ch/Ch+
    blue (incompletely dominant) N / n+
    lavender (recessive) l / L+
    sepia / bronze (recessive) f / F+
    self white (incompletely dominant) P / p+
    pied (recessive) d / D+
    canizie / white head (dominant) C / c+

Blue fawn and lilac would be hobby names. There are also buff muscovies but they are created by combining the chocolate and lavender genes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by