What colors will these babies be when they grow up?? :)

okiepony

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 10, 2011
So now my babies have hatched - I have four silverr/black looking ones and a yellow....

Knowing that their colors can change drastically, what do you all think these babies colors will be when they grow up....
My mottled black roo was all yellow when he was little, with just one tiny black spot on his head... now he is practically black with very little white thrown in...
My bi-colored grayish looking roo ended up being black and white (light brahma), and the babies with masks turned out to be a spangled brown/red and a silver duckwing...

Soo... nothing will certainly be as it is now, and I'm curious of what they will look like...

Here are the babies, numbered:

baby1day2.jpg

baby2and3.jpg

baby4.jpg

There's one more baby, but he's just another variation of the dark ones...

All suggestions welcome in this learning experience!
smile.png

#1-#3 , molted, #4 either white or buff ( i just watched a video on Mcmurray hatchery with cochins ( these little guys look just like video with molteds

I was thinking the mottled roo would be the daddy of most....LOL He was all yellow, though when he was little, with just one black spot on head...

Thanks for the video suggestion - I just watched it
smile.png
The little guys are a lot like mine, except they're more yellow where mine have faint to no yellow on them, except for the solid colored light one :O

You haven't mentioned the parents, far as I know, so there is no way of saying the colors. The top looks mottled and surely is, the middle are likely black but could have leakage in them too from crossing, who knows, and the bottom one could be Buff, or a Buff cross, or Wheaten cross, or pure Wheaten, who knows.
wink.png

Illia - you're absolutely right!!

I didn't mention parents because between my four hens and three roos, all of whom are different colors and four different breeds, I don't know who were the mating pairs for each egg...

Japanese Black Mottled Roo
Light Brahma Roo
White OEGB Roo with some faint red neck and saddle feathers

OEGB Spangled hen
OEGB Silver duckwing hen
OEGB Very light gray/blue hen with faint gold neck/breast lining on feathers
Red Cochin hen....

So there ya go :O

Last edited:
Okay, so then the first one will be mottled, but have red leakage on its neck, and if a boy, on its shoulders and likely saddle too. It will look sort of like a Spangled but without as much red.

The second two will be pure black but with lots of red leakage like the first, they're carriers of mottling but won't show it.

The last one will be an orangey color but likely with a black tail, possible black on the neck too. Not a true Buff.

Illia! Cool!!
smile.png
Thank You!!

I've tried to figure out the genetics and the possibilities through a Dutch website, and even I understood that I'd be having lots of black...LOL
However, since I have a hen and a roo that I'm not sure what their "standard" color is, it was hard to see anything concerning them - of course - I may not have any of their offspring...

I think I love the buff (true or not!) already. I just took some grasshoppers to the mama and babies, and the little "buff" was in true velociraptor mode!! S/he was carrying the grasshopper around, and even though it was not very big, it was still dragging the ground... very cute... maybe I get a video of the same later if I can find more suitable hoppers...

Back
Top Bottom