What colors would I get...

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by BigDaddy'sGurl, Jan 7, 2011.

1. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    if I crossed a patridge silkie hen and a red cochin roo? I have one chick who is a cross from these two and he/she is partridge colored with pink skin, black nose, and 5 toes per foot. Just curious if this would be the norm from this crossing.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2011
  2. BigDaddy'sGurl

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    Anyone?

3. NixNoodleNumbat

NixNoodleNumbat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Australia
    Sorry, I have no idea.[​IMG]

4. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    if you kept hatching the chicks, their would be some variant or colors, but not too much. other than that, i don't know.

5. BigDaddy'sGurl

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    Darn. I was hoping that maybe certain traits or colors would indicate sex...I know that is wishful thinking, since I don't think the sex link rules apply with cochins or silkies...but anyway, thanks!

6. Henferno

Henferno Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    Waushara County, WI
    BigDaddy'sGurl :

Darn. I was hoping that maybe certain traits or colors would indicate sex...I know that is wishful thinking, since I don't think the sex link rules apply with cochins or silkies...but anyway, thanks!

Sex-link rules depend entirely on color, not on breed.

I once crossed a partridge rock hen with a white cochin roo, and most of the daughters were false dun or silver pencilled. The sons were entirely a brassy pencilled color, almost like an ugly duckwing. Red-partridge may give you false red quail or black-pencilled-red, there are a lot of things possible with those two!​

7. BigDaddy'sGurl

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    Quote:Sex-link rules depend entirely on color, not on breed.

I once crossed a partridge rock hen with a white cochin roo, and most of the daughters were false dun or silver pencilled. The sons were entirely a brassy pencilled color, almost like an ugly duckwing. Red-partridge may give you false red quail or black-pencilled-red, there are a lot of things possible with those two!

Thanks so much! I'm glad you said that about the color not the breed...here's another question you can maybe answer: i bred my red cochin roo to my BR hen and ended up with some chicks that looked identical to black "stars" or basically, black sex link pullets. I sold them when they were a few weeks old, but would there have been a way, based on color, to know their sex when they began to feather out without looking at combs/wattles or feather shape?

8. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    BigDaddy'sGurl :

Quote:Sex-link rules depend entirely on color, not on breed.

I once crossed a partridge rock hen with a white cochin roo, and most of the daughters were false dun or silver pencilled. The sons were entirely a brassy pencilled color, almost like an ugly duckwing. Red-partridge may give you false red quail or black-pencilled-red, there are a lot of things possible with those two!

Thanks so much! I'm glad you said that about the color not the breed...here's another question you can maybe answer: i bred my red cochin roo to my BR hen and ended up with some chicks that looked identical to black "stars" or basically, black sex link pullets. I sold them when they were a few weeks old, but would there have been a way, based on color, to know their sex when they began to feather out without looking at combs/wattles or feather shape?​

You should've been able to know when they hatched. A Red bird over a Barred bird is exactly how black sex-links are made. The females should've been all black at hatch and feather out black with red in the breast area, and the males would've been born with a white dot on their head and feather out barred.

9. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Careful, ..... you could get a PLAID chicken! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    mr. birdaholic :

Careful, ..... you could get a PLAID chicken! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

That would be so awesome!​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by