What colour are my chicks?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by SunflowerTheBun, Oct 27, 2016.

1. SunflowerTheBun

SunflowerTheBun Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2016
    Victoria, Australia.
    This is a continuation of the other thread I had called 'My Broody Hen and Lites/Mites'.
    But here I'd like some ideas on what colour our silkie chicks are.
    I know two are black, but the others? The white one is likely to be the same colour as their Aunty. Here are some pictures:
    The chicks:
    [​IMG]

Their mum:
    [​IMG]

Their dad:
    [​IMG]

Their Aunty:
    [​IMG]

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

They will all be varying shades of Partridge - the black ones will likely develop plenty of brown leakage as they mature making them more accurately mixed color or dark Partridge than black. The light chick should be Buff with leakage.

3. SunflowerTheBun

Jul 8, 2016
    Victoria, Australia.
    Really? I thought the black ones would turn out the same as their dad.

4. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

The father is not a pure black. I'm not just talking about the silver leakage in his hackle, I mean genetically. A purebred black bird will produce 100% black offspring, since Black is dominant over essentially every other pattern and color. He himself must have been the result of a Black X Partridge cross, since he produced other than 100% black chicks. If you cross a bird who already has partridge genetics over a pure Partridge, the resulting black chicks will likely grow out to be appear as either a very dark Partridge or a black with enough brown leakage that it can't really be considered a "real" black anymore. I suppose they will look somewhat similar to him, with a bit more color. But then again I don't think I would call him a proper black anyways, since he's got so much leakage and is the result of color mixing.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
  5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree with Queen Misha

6. SunflowerTheBun

Jul 8, 2016
    Victoria, Australia.
    Righto, thanks a lot. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by