1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

what colour is this silkiex?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by spish, Nov 10, 2011.

1. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    i have a little non silkied silkie (is there another name for them?) who is currently in quarantine after being attacked, now ive never really noticed how pretty she is before, but now up close i see just how lovely a colour she is. its not buff, or brown, its like a caramel toffee colour with black bits.

[​IMG]

i also have 2 older non-silkie silkie crosses, would these have a specific colour or are they just mutt colour?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 10, 2011
  2. henney penny

henney penny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    I don`t know what mix they are but they are so pretty,the first one looks like mila da fluer(not right spelling)

3. spish

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    thanks [​IMG]

the first and last are hens, the white one is a roo...im curious what beautiful little mutts id get from them if i let them breed....or perhaps i'll try breeding them back with my silkies

but the colour patterns fascinate me.....the 'parent' birds were a bantamEe hen and a big ol' orpington hen, the father was the same for both hens (patridge silkie roo)

4. mother o' chicks72

mother o' chicks72 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    Portland, Oregon
    Quote:I'd like to see what the chicks looked like if you bred the white roo with the pretty golden hen.

5. spish

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    so...no ideas on her colour? [​IMG]

6. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

First one looks like my buff/partridge cochin colouring.
    [​IMG]

I'm sorry, I don't know about the second one [​IMG]

ETA:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These show the back better.

7. spish

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    that colour seems too dark [​IMG] but thanks for sharing, my little hen is seems lighter in colour but she does have the black bits [​IMG]

edit - your extra pics you've added do seem to match the colour better [​IMG]

8. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    1st. looks like a buff partridge
    2nd. not sure
    3rd. black with silver lacing on the chest

9. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Quote:She has an almost caramel gold colouring to her. Not buff, but.. hard to pinpoint [​IMG]

10. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

Really yes you'd just call them mutt colors. lol thats what I call them when they 'don't meet a standard' - but #1 has partridge markings on a gold base. She may be the orp's offspring with that gold base. ( I use the term gold in the genetic sense, it can be a color any yellow/gold shade - all chickens colors come from gold or silver (even whites are gold or silver gened)

Anyway #1 you can see she came from partridge, shes what you would call a buff with partridge markings.

#2 is a columbian type pattern. Black hackles, black tail... not the proper proportion of colors but still you'd call him columbian patterned.

#3 is a black hen with silver leakage - that leakage is showing the partridge in her, in that penciling/lacing on the chest. I have a Silkie X D'uccle cross who is black and reddish gold, her gold does very similar - especially in her neck, Corvette (my girl) doesn't have much color on her chest since she molted. [​IMG]

BTW I love them! - I really like silkie crosses...

I have 2 silkie crosses now, I did have quite a few but I only kept my 2 favorites and prettiest [​IMG] Besides most of the others were boys...However I do have 2 youngsters in my brooder we will see how they turn out. But Corvette I told you about, Chipmunk takes after the OEGB cross hen thats her mom, wild type/ partridge pattern throughout her body, black hackles and crest. Very pretty bird. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by