What Colour Should I Get?

Fur-N-Fowl

Fluffy Dinosaur Breeder
May 25, 2019
UK
I'm thinking of ordering some new Silkies for my flock.

It's my first time ever ordering online but the breeders seem focused on this breed and have been very helpful. I'm thinking if I asked, they'd happily send photos of birds before sending me them so I can pick which ones I like. All the birds are bred to standard (except the cuckoo since they can't be shown anyways).

If I go ahead, I know for sure that I'll be getting a bearded pure white pullet.

As for the other colour, I'm undecided!

I'm just looking for your thoughts on which colour you think seems more interesting. The colours they have available are:
• Lavender
• Silver Partridge
• Porcelain
• White Gold Splash
• Gold Partridge

I'm leaning towards the lavender or silver partridge but I just need some help I guess!

Lavender is a beautiful color and very desirable! However, the lavender gene is recessive so if you get only one, none of the chicks will turn out lavender. Are you ordering pairs?
I believe that silver Partridge is a fancy way of saying gray... but I might be wrong. If it is gray, then it is a showable color so double check that the birds you get match the standard well enough.
Porcelain is also beautiful!

A hard decision for sure! Who are you ordering from?

Lavender is a beautiful color and very desirable! However, the lavender gene is recessive so if you get only one, none of the chicks will turn out lavender. Are you ordering pairs?
I believe that silver Partridge is a fancy way of saying gray... but I might be wrong. If it is gray, then it is a showable color so double check that the birds you get match the standard well enough.
Porcelain is also beautiful!

A hard decision for sure! Who are you ordering from?

Indeed such a hard decision!

I will only be ordering pullets as I already have 2 cockerels. They will all be bred with my pure white Cockerel though. White is also recessive I believe? How would they turn out? Lavender x white :eek:

I'm thinking of ordering from these:
https://www.pipinchicksilkies.com/silkie-chicken-colours-and-sales.html

Their site has images for each colour available :)

Indeed such a hard decision!

I will only be ordering pullets as I already have 2 cockerels. They will all be bred with my pure white Cockerel though. White is also recessive I believe? How would they turn out? Lavender x white :eek:

I'm thinking of ordering from these:
https://www.pipinchicksilkies.com/silkie-chicken-colours-and-sales.html

Their site has images for each colour available :)

I am fairly certain that a White × Lavender would produce black silkies that carry one copy of white and one copy of lavender each. If you were to cross the siblings together you would have the lavender show up again! It would be a fun thing to experiment with for sure! Makes me wish that I had a couple lavenders for sure....

In the US, silver partridge is gray and gold partridge is regular Partridge. The white gold spalsh color is also very pretty but I have no idea how it would turn out when crossed with white!

I am fairly certain that a White × Lavender would produce black silkies that carry one copy of white and one copy of lavender each. If you were to cross the siblings together you would have the lavender show up again! It would be a fun thing to experiment with for sure! Makes me wish that I had a couple lavenders for sure....

In the US, silver partridge is gray and gold partridge is regular Partridge. The white gold spalsh color is also very pretty but I have no idea how it would turn out when crossed with white!

Oh right awesome!

I've actually been hoping to eventually get some black Silkies so I suppose the possibility of producing my own would be a fun task! :D

Even though I am breeding the mixed colours for fun/pets, if one (for instance a black one) was produced that met all the show standards I could still show it myself. As long as it's pure black and has no leakage, judges won't say it's not accepted because it's parents were white and lavender. I would never sell any of my birds as 'show birds'. If somone buys one and decided they want to show them/breed from them that's their decision :D I'm not then responsible for what they produce afterwards. Even the whites, I wouldn't guarantee somone that they are show quality, I rather them make that decision themselves!

It's interesting with the colours though. I also do like the gold splash but I have a feeling the gold would disappear if I crossed them with a pure white...I may be wrong though :confused:

I think I may go for either 2 white pullets or 1 white pullet and 1 lavender!

Oh right awesome!

I've actually been hoping to eventually get some black Silkies so I suppose the possibility of producing my own would be a fun task! :D

Even though I am breeding the mixed colours for fun/pets, if one (for instance a black one) was produced that met all the show standards I could still show it myself. As long as it's pure black and has no leakage, judges won't say it's not accepted because it's parents were white and lavender. I would never sell any of my birds as 'show birds'. If somone buys one and decided they want to show them/breed from them that's their decision :D I'm not then responsible for what they produce afterwards. Even the whites, I wouldn't guarantee somone that they are show quality, I rather them make that decision themselves!

It's interesting with the colours though. I also do like the gold splash but I have a feeling the gold would disappear if I crossed them with a pure white...I may be wrong though :confused:

I think I may go for either 2 white pullets or 1 white pullet and 1 lavender!

Sounds like a plan to me! Coincidentally, I was just researching how to create the color porcelain. As it turns out, lavender is a key compenet to creating it. Who knows what you could do! Good luck :love How old would they be?

Sounds like a plan to me! Coincidentally, I was just researching how to create the color porcelain. As it turns out, lavender is a key compenet to creating it. Who knows what you could do! Good luck :love How old would they be?

Sounds like lavender plays quite a big role in achieving the more 'exotic' colours!

Think it's worth me investing in one then. Of course, if all goes to plan and I do order one, when they arrive I'll be sure to post them.

I specifically asked for point of lay pullets or pullets that have just started laying :D

Sounds like lavender plays quite a big role in achieving the more 'exotic' colours!

Think it's worth me investing in one then. Of course, if all goes to plan and I do order one, when they arrive I'll be sure to post them.

I specifically asked for point of lay pullets or pullets that have just started laying :D
You will definitely jumpstart your flock then! And yes, post lots of photos!

Back
Top Bottom