What colour will my eggs be??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mossy_oak23, Nov 8, 2009.

1. mossy_oak23

mossy_oak23 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2009
    I have a cross between cornish (egg color?) and araucana (blue eggs). So what will the outcome be? If it matters the rooster that was the father off all my hens was cornish and the hen was the araucana. Also if they will be blue do you guys think I will have a hard time selling them? I think some people that don't know of eggs might think that they have gone bad or something like that.

2. BeardedLadyFarm

BeardedLadyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Cobleskill NY
    From what I can find, Cornish lay light brown eggs, so assuming you have pure Araucanas with two copies of the blue gene, you should expect greenish eggs from their offspring.

The blue egg gene is usually inherited with the pea comb gene, so it's easy to tell which chicks are carrying the blue gene. BUT since cornish have pea combs too, you'll just have to wait and see!

3. mossy_oak23

mossy_oak23 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2009
    Quote:interesting. I can't wait to see!!! Does anyone have experience selling green and blue eggs and did you find it hard to get them sold due to their unusual color?

4. BeardedLadyFarm

BeardedLadyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Cobleskill NY
    People here in Philadelphia will pay more for "rainbow" eggs at the farmers market. Charge a little more for them, and people will want to try them!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by