What colour will the chicks be?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by MuscovyMad, Oct 9, 2011.

1. MuscovyMad

MuscovyMad Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    I crossed my black cockerel with a white hen. And put the eggs under my broody. They are due to hatch in a few days.

Does anyone have any idea what colour the chicks are likely to be?

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    In spite of your name, I assume you are talking about chickens.

Are the chickens purebreeds or crosses? If pure, it would help to know what breeds. There are different ways to make a white hen. If the parents are pure breeds, the odds are the all chicks will either be black or all will be white depending on what genes are making the hen white. However, there is a combinations that could give you all fawn colors. There may be some other combinations possible, but I'd usually all black or all white. Seems like there are usually some exceptions or qualifications to chicken genetics.

If they are not pure but are instead crosses, there are a whole lot of options as to what they might be. Some of the colors and patterns will really surprise you. It just depends on what the crosses are.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2011
  3. MuscovyMad

MuscovyMad Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    Yeah i'm referring to chickens [​IMG] .

The parents are purebreeds. The cockerel is a black OEGB and the hen is a white pekin. However the cockerel has some brown feathers around his neck. So he isn't completely black.

Guess i'll find out in 2 days time. Fingers crossed for any colour apart from black. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by