what colour would you call my roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Frizzle13, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Frizzle13

Frizzle13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2012
    so i got this free frizzle roo from my cousin and want to sell some of his offspring. but i wonderred what colour type you would call him.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    he has mainly glosy saddles and sickles and is brown with wite specles on the front and his tail is black with blueish spots and patches

2. Frizzle13

Sep 16, 2012
    by the way he is a pure frizzle.

3. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    frizzle gene can be on any breed, just frizzle doesnt make him pure. He looks mixed to me but pretty. Half of his babies will be frizzled, half will not be no matter which hen the egg comes from

4. Frizzle13

Sep 16, 2012
    He is pure as he comes from my cousins pure frizzle flock

5. RockerHen

RockerHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Chappells, SC
    Like Ramirezframing said, frizzle isn't a breed. It's a trait. Saying you have a pure frizzle is saying you have, for example, a pure yellow-legged chicken. A huge variety of breeds, even mixed breeds, can have yellow legs, just as a large variety of breeds can have the frizzling gene. I agree he looks like a mixed breed. He's a pretty boy though.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  6. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    splash laced red color, maybe crossed with Wyandotte, but he has a single comb

7. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Actually, frizzle IS a breed AND a trait. I recall a very long time ago Frizzles, the breed, being shown. They always were uncommon.. and it seems once the trait was introduced into other breeds, especially cochins, the breed just seemed to disappear almost overnight while the number of frizzled examples in other breeds skyrocketed. Basically this drove the breed just about into extinction. I might be wrong, there is still a standard and flocks of the Frizzle breed in other countries. Example:

http://forum.backyardpoultry.com/viewtopic.php?t=7958906

8. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    as for the bird color- he seems like a cull from attempted project at blue laced red(lacing is poor) or is a natural result of colors being allowed to mix freely. not sure why you want to figure his color if those are the hens he's being bred to.. the chick colors will be all over the place. Pretty but can't pinpoint what 'color' they are.

if you like his color and want to improve the lacing, try blue laced red hens. blr wyandottes..?

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    If you need to call him a color call him splash laced, that's probably the closest. But as said, his babies aren't going to be the same color unless you breed to the same color.

10. Frizzle13

Sep 16, 2012
    i know they wont be the same colours as him and i have seen frizzles at show that look like him

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by