What colour would you call this Pekin (Cochin)?? Pics included

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by franh, Sep 12, 2011.

1. franh

franh Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2011
    Stroud, UK
    Hello everyone

But I have 7 week old Pekins from a mixed pen hatch and I have some really pretty girls but cant work out what colour to call them!! The 2 that I'm struggling with have pure yellow heads and chests down to the middle of their back and then a beige/yellow pattern starting and going right through to their tails with the beige through the middle of the feathers.

Also if anyone can tell me what colour boy would go best with them for getting the same colour chicks next year? I was hoping that seeing as both girls are so similarly marked that I could get good results.[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

thanks

2. DancingHen

DancingHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Central Oregon Coast
    Not sure what to call it...sorry. But I wanted to say that it is very lovely.

3. Blue

Blue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Virginia
    Looks like a buff and blue cross; I'd be tempted to call it lemon-blue, but it doesn't quite fit the description for that color completely.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  4. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I was also thinking that it looked more like blue that beige. What about a buff breasted blue? (I totally made that up.)

5. Blue

Blue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Virginia
    Quote:I like that! That may be the start of a whole new color scheme. lol! There's definitely some blue in there. There's a lot of lacing on the back and tail feathers, too, which a typical lemon-blue wouldn't have, so maybe a buff breasted blue laced?

6. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    almost look porcielen-ish, do you have any lavender ?

Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  7. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Blue x Buff.

It's basically a mutt color.

8. franh

franh Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2011
    Stroud, UK
    The eggs came out of a pen with lots of colours lemon cuckoo, lavender, choclate millefleur, buff etc but looking back at the ladies advert I see that she listed two of the hens as buff fawn which sound a lot like the colour of the two chicks. The colour on their backs are more brown than blue maybe I should of taken photos against a dark background!!

Has anyone heard of that colour before? And any ideas of what colour cockerel to put with them? I haven't got any boys from the hatch with similar colourings.

thanks

9. poofball

poofball Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2009
    Kentucky
    If I was going to keep them i would add a partridge or a cuckoo male witch may help with feather trim on some of the next generation.
    Just my Thuoght . Good luck have fun with this project !

10. banjoejoe4783

banjoejoe4783 VILLAMIL FARMS

Oct 6, 2010
    westville ok
    Quote:x2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by