What comes after chick food?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Cheryl, Oct 25, 2007.

1. Cheryl

Cheryl Chillin' With My Peeps

My chicks were 5 weeks old this past tuesday...what feed to I get next and at what age do I start them on it? All are still in the basement, but I take them out when the sun is shining, they love worms and crickets!

2. TxChiknRanchers

TxChiknRanchers Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2007
    Southeast Texas
    What are you feeding now? Starter?
    There is a chick "grower" feed that ours love.

3. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    I use Purina Start and Grow. You feed that from day old to 18 weeks.

4. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    Mine were on "start n grow" until they started laying. If you just have them on "starter" then you should switch them to "grower" at 8 weeks I believe.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

5. Cheryl

Thank you, grower at 8 weeks it is, and I hope they are outside at that point!!!

6. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    I'd recommend you look on the bag of chick starter feed - on mine it gives a chart on when and what to switch your chicks depending on if they are layers or broilers/fryers...

7. Southern28Chick

Apr 16, 2007
    Quote:There you go, I knew someone knew the right answer. I forgot the that bag usually tells you what to do. [​IMG]

8. Cheryl

Well, I have 5 chicks at 5 weeks and I have been buying the food 10 lbs at a time...today I went to the feed store and they were out, so they have now graduated to chick grower...I still don't think it is practical to buy a 50 lb bag...will they eat that much over 13 weeks?

9. Nichole77

Nichole77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2007
    Arizona
    I think they will. I have 5 and thought my 50 lb bag would last until Dec. I bought it when they were around 5 weeks. I am about out.

10. Southern28Chick

Apr 16, 2007
    Quote:LOL! I have to buy 150 pounds a month for my 24 chickens...the lil pigs!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by