What commercial feed do you use to purduce hatching eggs?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Triplell, Oct 9, 2012.

1. Triplell

Triplell Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2011
    Brainerd, MN
    I can no longer get the gamebird breeder ration until spring. Just wonering what other people feed? Anyone use Purina?

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I use Purina Flock raiser, and provide oyster shell. Usually the duck eggs are so hard to crack I almost need a hammer. I also add extra grain something along with what Celtic has on her website. I don't buy layer because all my flock eats together including youngsters when I have them so layer is out for me. FR can be fed from hatch till death that's why I like it.

3. Triplell

Dec 29, 2011
    Brainerd, MN
    Thanks, I was looking at FR but I can find nothing that say's it can be used for breeders of duck and chicken. THis is where I am having my dilimma.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I'm not breeding for any reason other for my own pleasure and the fact my flock does like to have children. [​IMG] but I haven't seen any problems using it continually even during breeding season. Celtic could probably give you some ideas though.

5. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    gamebird is too high of protein for year round use on things that are not well game birds..... Guinea fowl, peafowl, quail ect.

FR is a good all around feed for ducks and chickens both, offering oyster shell in a separate bowl/container free choice allows the girls to obtain the calcium they need for good shells.

We use FR or maintenance feed for the geese in off season. Layer 30 days before the season starts and right through breeding season.

Ducks - FR or Mazuri waterfowl depending on who we are feeding. Different breeds are fed differently.

chickens get Omega 3 layer

lots of whole grains

6. Triplell

Dec 29, 2011
    Brainerd, MN
    Thanks Guys!!! I will be on my way to get FR right now. My hatch rate has been great since I started using the gamebird breeder but I don't want to harm my mix flock either.

Thanks again, Heidi

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by