What constitutes dust bath for the babies

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by microbiomom, Oct 20, 2009.

1. microbiomom

microbiomom Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2009
    South Alabama
    I have three week old babies, I read about the proclivity the babies have for dust baths. I read about sifted wood ash and this and that. What do I use- in the brooder (if at all) and in the coop after their transition out of doors?
    Thanks and this forum has been a nightly read for about 4 weeks:)

2. eekgads

eekgads Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Central VA
    Welcome! Isn't this site awesome?!

Well, I use pine shavings for my inside chicks & they dust bathe in those. When transitioning to the great outdoors, I do so a couple of hours at a time & make sure that they won't get chilled too quickly. (Not a problem over the summer but in fall weather...) They seem to only take a couple of days to discover dirt when going outside so I wouldn't worry overly much.

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

When mine were little(r), I used a 12 inch planter base w/playsand and a little DE mixed in. Now (5 1/2 wks), I use a 20 inch planter base w/the same thing. They love it!! They roll around in it like little piggies, flipping sand up onto their backs. They eat a bit of it too...lol.

4. microbiomom

Oct 9, 2009
    South Alabama
    Will the clean play sand serve as grit so they can have a more complex diet? This is killin' me. I am out of town on business and having to phone home to ask how are my chickens, how is my dog, how are my fish, and oh yes how are you DH and DS.
    Thanks

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Yes sand will suffice as grit for the little ones. Don't worry about them having a diverse or more complex diet right now. They need the complete nutrition of their chick starter, first and foremost. Treats and other foods should be more for their entertainment than anything else at that age.
    Some plain yogurt would be good for their digestion and they love chopped hard boiled eggs...after they get over their fear that it's out to get them of course.

6. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    I took one of those basins that you get from the hospital mixed top soil and sand in it and they LOVE it.. I usually have to replace it every couple of days... The small basin fits really well in my brooder!!

Missi

7. microbiomom

Oct 9, 2009
    South Alabama
    Great advice. Thank you all

8. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Quote:I'm certainly no expert, as my 5 babies are my first ever chickens. But from what I've read, and based on reactions here on BYC, if they have access to treats other than very basic, soft foods (like boiled or scrambled egg), then you should probably have some kind of grit available. Most say that the fine sand would not be sufficient to break down coarser foods (treats) such as grasses, insects, etc. I sprinkled grit in with their feed when they were really little. Now I offer it to them in a dish (I use parakeet grit sold in pet stores...still fairly fine, but with larger bits too).

9. cinnamongirl

cinnamongirl Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2009
    Deltona
    I gave my chicks a 10in square baking pan full of our wonderful florida sand (sorry...gardener sarcasm there) that I sifted through a screen just the other day and wow! They loved it! Just big enough where two can get in at the same time. They eat a little too. Ok, they eat a lot. But maybe next time I won't give them yogurt just before...what a mess! Little sandy yogurt covered chicks! [​IMG]

10. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    I had a batch once that seemed to love taking dust baths in their oatmeal. [​IMG] Then they would chase each other around the brooder picking it off. What a mess.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by