What cool mutations or recessive traits have showed up in your flock?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by onthespot, Mar 14, 2011.

1. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    Just wondering what cool stuff other people have hatched, that they were not expecting from their birds. For me, one was the "smaller Marans" and the other, is the "not black" (chocolate?) barred olive eggers. People told me it was sunburn when i first posted pics, that she was in pre-molt, but I hatched out another one a few weeks ago. No way this one is sunburned. It's down is even brown, not black, and it has never been in the sun except for to take pics.

Here's my "chocolate" barred olive egger. I have an adult hen the same color. Also have a young hen that is a cross from the same rooster that treaded a silkie once by accident last year while I was cleaning out the silkie coop and the barreds were free ranging. This trait seems to inherit in a typical sex linked pattern, from the few examples I have seen. Hoping this is a roo, so I can test it more. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And here is a "bantam copper black marans" pair. They are not very tiny, but they are about half size of the adults, if not a tad smaller than that.

[​IMG]

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Your "chocolate" is partridge. [​IMG]

I've yet to have anything odd pop up that I couldn't explain, although I have had some odd things pop up that I understood. Such as a white cockerel out of a W/BW Ameraucana hatch. . .

3. lildinkem

lildinkem Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    In this pen aside from my White Orp, I have an Exchequer, a Mottled who used to be a purebred Black and a Blue Red looking pullet. No Marans in the Blue Red. Just a couple of neat looking birds that pop up.

[​IMG]

4. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    Shucks. Is it partridge if there is no variation in the feather color, other than that barring? They are just this flat dull brown color all over, no lacing, no shafting, no variation whasoever, from head to tail. They do fade some from one set of feathers to the next, but the new ones just come in really dark charcoal brown colored.

5. averytds

averytds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    KS
    Had a buff Brahma/ Production Red cross come out with tufts once, but that's all I can think of.

6. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    got any pics? This thread is useless with out pics!

7. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    Quote:Pretty good shot, to get all your types in one picture! That mottled is CRAZY looking! I see you have another mottled in the background. Does this trait seem to transmit like a dominant trait? I have some Fischer Lovebirds that have "progressive pied" gene. They start out normal looking, and with each molt, they get more and more yellow feathers. I'm trying to get it in blue, but not enough generations yet... I will have to post pics of them tomorrow. Thanks for posting!

8. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Mottling itself is recessive. Excessive white in the feathers, unrelated to mottling, is not.

The thing about your partridge looking chick is that you won't get to see the patterning much at all. If you take a look even at crele birds, there's little to no room in the females for patterning - just brown, gold, and black barring.

9. averytds

averytds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    KS
    Quote:Nope, sorry. Several possible moms and they were all hatchery stock, so didn't think too much on it. Was just hatching for replacement barnyard mix layers and he happened to be a roo, so didn't make the grade. Always reminded me of a villain with a handlebar mustache. Other than he was a meanie and ultimately delicious, I can't tell much else.

10. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:Although each parent could have contributed a copy of mottle. Mottle does show occasionally in juvenile feathers when only one copy is present.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by