1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What could be eating the eggs?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by TheDuckCrew, Apr 25, 2009.

1. TheDuckCrew

TheDuckCrew Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    I thought i had some egg eaters within my flock, so i took the egg out last night so they wouldn't eat it. i forgot it by the side of the house, and when i went to let them out, it was opened and licked clean. it looked exactly how the eggs inside the coop did. the coop is predator proof. only thing that might be able to get in there is a snake, but i'd think they'd swallow the egg whole. whatever is getting in there doesn't hurt the ducks. what could it be?

2. FrenchHen

FrenchHen Chicken Ambassador

Jan 26, 2009
    Bagshot Row
    skunks, possum, weird neighbor kid...
    Lots of options.

3. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

possums, raccoons, skunks, dogs, cats, rats.... close your eyes and point to one.

4. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Quote:[​IMG]

5. TheDuckCrew

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    well some wierd neighbor kid did get into the coop the other day! destroyed the water bucket!!! grrrrr. [​IMG]
    but i don't think there's enough room for a skunk or opposum to get in...and would there be any possibility they would hurt the ducks? they're pekins so they are pretty large.

6. TheDuckCrew

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:would mice eat them? we had seen some mice bedding with the ducks during the winter. (free food, warmth...smart mice) but we've never ever ever had any rats. lots of mice and chipmunks. cute little things.

7. elizwlsn

elizwlsn Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2009
    Palmyra, Va.
    I just came online to ask the same question. I put a new box out in chicken goat yard yesterday during the day. I put hay in it and 3 eggs so they would get the idea it is a nest box. I came back a few hours later and all the eggs were gone. No mess, no broken shells or yolk on the hay...nothing. Just gone. In the middle of the day. By that time most of the chickens were out in the front of the house in the regular yard so there weren't even but a few chickens in there. It's wooded and my little one thought maybe squirrels had gotten them. Do squirrels do that? They've been laying in the goat hut but we had kids yesterday morning and the doe didn't really want the chickens in there so I just hastily made a box to use so they would feel they had someplace to lay.

8. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    rats.

9. Shanay235

Shanay235 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    WV
    Sounds like rats or mice to me.

10. TheDuckCrew

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    no rats around here. we've been here for 8 years and have never ever ever seen a sign of a rat. we had TONS in our last house. my parents didn't know about them when they bought it...until they saw a squirrel drinking out of the pool but it didn't have a fuzzy tail. and then they saw some in the house! yikes! needless to say we got rid of them. but i've seen plenty of mice. i'm guessing they won't hurt the ducks considering they are so big. anything i can do to make them not eat the eggs? killing them is not an option. sorry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by