What could be wrong, leg/hip injury

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 2BD4C10C, Apr 9, 2017.

1. 2BD4C10C

2BD4C10C Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2015
    East TN
    I have a 5 week old Dixie Rainbow chick with something wrong with her leg.She was fine and growing normally up till today but now her knee is dropped down and the leg sticks out to the side. She can and does walk on it.

What could it be and what could it possibly mean for her long term survival? She is the smallest in size and weight of all the DR chicks.

[​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It looks as though she has a slipped tendon or another leg bone deformity common in chickens and other poultry. There are many articles to read about those if you Google "slipped tendon in chicks," or do a search at the top of this page. The problem happens, and you may be able to place the tendon back in the right spot, and splint the leg with vet wrap. Many times the tendon pops back out. These leg problems most times cannot be fixed the older the chick is, and there is a tendency for the hock tendon to rupture. I will try to post some articles in a bit.

3. 2BD4C10C

2BD4C10C Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2015
    East TN
    I was unable to fix the tendon. The joint is horrible swollen.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by