what could be wrong? my huge blue brahma roo :(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by spish, Aug 30, 2010.

1. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    he is a year old and a big beast. was fine yesterday but today i found him splayed out in the run on his side. i was sure he was dead but when i went to pick him up he jumped up walked a few steps wibbeled then stood still

i picked him up (normal he fights back but he didnt even flinch) brought him in a caged him. ive given him water with acv in and some food (which he gobbled up as if he was starving) so i gave him some more which he gobbled up again. but now he making the most god awful noise (rawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwk) and stretching his neck out long/opening his mouth
    he's not standing
    'comb/wattles a normal healthy colour
    no sign of injury, havent seen him poop yet so dont know how they look
    theres something just not right and i dont know what to do/think

is it one of those 'wait and see' times???

edit - darling boyfriend has informed me big blue (the roo) has been sleeping out in the mini pig enclosure for the past few nights so he's been out in the cold/rain for at least the past two nights with no shelter (the pigs wont let him inside)
    could he be chilled?? temps have been 6 degrees to 14 degrees here in belgium this week, thats darn cold for this time of year

Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
  2. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Listen to his chest for rattling noises.

Is his crop full or empty or in between?

Look over his legs and feet for injury.

3. spish

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    his crop felt very empty at first, but theres a big bulge at the bottom (the food he just ate? sure feels like it) no raspy or rattming noises from his chest (only listened with my ear not a stethoscope)
    ive parted as many feathers as possible to look for wounds but he's just so fluff its impossible to look everywhere. theres a few cuts and scrapes on his feet (look fresh as one was surrounded by a bit of blood) but nothing 'major' theres a scrap on his comb too but these could be from me trying to haul him over a 5ft wall!
    just uploading some pictures of him

how he usually looks

[​IMG]

how he now looks

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
  4. bigstack

bigstack Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Texarkana, TX
    Is it possible he was whooped by 1 or a few others at once? He looks to me to have lost a fight. Could be why he isn't going into the coop with the rest of the flock? I had a big roo who was teamed up on and they made him stay out of the coop. I finally built another coop and now he has his own coop and ladies who spend the night with him. The 3 roos will go to the old coop with most of the girls and he goes to his coop with his ladies. all is fine now! He may have a cold comming on or fighting one now! I wish I knew more for you. I would just try to keep him warm and fed/watered for a while. Hopefully he wil perk up soon! I would give hime some yogurt and maybe a little apple cider vinager in his water. just in case.

Good Luck and God Bless!

5. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Eyes look swollen. Not sure what antibiotics you have available, but check into getting him on one. Also watch his poop--coccidiosis can present with his appearance.

It looks far more serious than a lost fight.

6. Cochin378

Cochin378 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2010
    It sounds like your rooster has Bronchitis. I would treat him with stronger antibiotics. Hopefully he gets better. Cochin

7. spish

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    the only med i have available to me is esb-3 (cocci treatment for in the water)
    i have on hand
    garlic powder
    acv
    multi vits without iron
    esb-3

and thats it

vets dont deal with chickens here

he was in a fight about 3 weeks ago with my EE roo, (the ee lost!) both were pretty badly cut up but have left each other alone since.
    i think thats were the bruising/scars/scabs are from [​IMG]

another thing, this roo hasnt crowed all week (has a very distinct crow which ive not heard for a while) thought id mention it..

8. spish

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    he's still with us this mornng but will not get on his feet. he looks a lot worse. plenty of poop in the cage today but it all looks normal. i cant think what could be wrong with him, he looks so bad but has no actual 'symptoms' to work with. i fear im gonna lose him (((my big cuddly braham)))

9. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    Oh poor guy, he looks awful. His face does look swollen so I think you should try to get some antibiotics for him. Even if your vet doesn't deal with chickens, if you go into the office and explain the situation then they should still sell you some. Money is money. I hope your guy gets better soon.

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    maybe he had some punctures from his fight and they are infected. You say he is so fluffy, so maybe you haven't found them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by