1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What could be wrong with Flappy? UPDATED with photos

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chefchick, Dec 15, 2011.

1. chefchick

chefchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    I went into the coop today and found my 5 month old guy shaking his head, lifting one leg, and acting weird in general. For that past couple of weeks, I have noticed small black scabs on some of my chickens' combs, but I assumed it was just pecking because it was mostly the roos that had it. Today, it looks like flappy's comb is moldy (I will get pictures/video of him during my lunch break) and I suspect fowl pox. None of the chickens act sick, egg production is good (13/13 egg yesterday) but one of the hens shook her head a few times too. I has been very cold and rainy here lately. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
  2. flowergirl60

flowergirl60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin Tx
    I have no suggestions. I was going to say the black spots could be dried blood, but you said they looked moldy, that I don't know. Please try to get the pics or video. That might help. [​IMG]

3. VelvettFog

VelvettFog Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Yakima, WA
    Black scabs on the combs could be the result of frostbite

4. chefchick

Jun 2, 2011
    Here are some pictures of their combs. The roo is the worst , having white moldy looking stuff. The other two is an example of what the rest of them have. They just look like a black scab. There are no other bumps or crud. The roo wasn't shaking his head like I mentioned earlier. I didn't see any abnormal poo, and none of them are sneezing coughing or acting sick at all.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. blitz1027

blitz1027 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    Natchitoches
    Looks like Fowl Pox. My birds just finished recovering from it.

6. THELMA

THELMA Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2009
    another vote for fowl pox here. There are lots of sites showing this if you google it.

7. GreenMeadows

GreenMeadows Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2011
    id say fowl poxs too. Hope they get better soon

8. poseygrace

poseygrace Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Georgia
    Poor baby! Yes, read up on fowl pox and treat accordingly. Hope he gets better soon.

9. chefchick

Jun 2, 2011
    Thanks everyone.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by