What could be wrong with my Buff O....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by alamagnolia, Dec 11, 2012.

1. alamagnolia

alamagnolia Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2012
    I have five hens that have been laying good since mid & late Sept. My B.O. has changed behavior drastically in the last week. Story....my girls are used to free ranging during the day....we live on three acres and it worked well until they ventured into my neighbors yard. Got the dreaded phone call that the hens had scratched mulch out of their beds! I enlarged the run and now keep them penned until about an hr to hour and half before their bedtime....that way they don't wander far from the coop. With this came the change in the BO's behavior. She is very healthy, good size (in fact my biggest) and is now spending much of the day on the nest in the nesting box as if she is brooding. She is still laying and eating/drinking. She switches nesting boxes too. When I let them out, I pick her up off the nest and put her outside...she pecks, scratches, eats like the others but she doesnt hang with the other four and she also heads usually straight to the "dust bowl" for her bath! Is this because her temp is higher than normal or could it be mites? How do I tell if mites. She does act broody for sure even picking some of her feathers to add to the nest...fluffing the nest and adjusting. She hasn't been ill with my picking her up nor has she pecked me. I have noticed a little attitude lately though...the others seem to irritate her a little as well as the dog...any advise is appreciated...I have only had the girls for 8 mos or so. Thanks

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Usually when they are broody they stop laying. Still, with her interest in the nest box, maybe she is trying to be broody.

You can look under the wings and around the vent area for bugs. I always feel itchy and get bitten with mites, myself, when they have them. I haven't dealt with lice.

Sounds like all is well!

BOs go broody a lot.

3. alamagnolia

May 21, 2012
    Thanks for your post. She roosts with the rest every night too as normal, but she doesn't hang with them during the day!

4. TheSpeckledRoo

TheSpeckledRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2012
    Michigan
    Does your B.O still lay? I have a B.O that is like that.. she often turns broody and tries to hatch a golf ball. She is anti social towards the other hens but is very social with me. She will run to me and sit on my feet when i bring my girls food.

5. alamagnolia

May 21, 2012
    The B.O. is back....her moody broody lasted about a week and a half. Since then she is more social with the others, hangs with the again. She still likes her privacy for her dust bath though! All is well now....thanks for input.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by