1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

what could be wrong with my chicken?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by richardsfamily, Dec 15, 2011.

1. richardsfamily

richardsfamily New Egg

Sep 28, 2011
    My chicken (who walked of her own accord into the coop last night) is having difficulty walking this morning. I found her on the ground, not on the roosting bar, in the coop, unable to move. It seems she is unable to bear weight well on her right foot. At first it looked like she could not extend her toes, because she was standing with her toes on her right foot curled under, but during to course of my examination she was extending them on her own. I examined her and I can't find any obvious injury to her feet, legs or wings. she is able to pull back when I extend them and I don't feel any swelling or anything wrong. I wondered if it could be her spine since she is holding her tail down but when I lifted her tail, she did hold it up on her own. She can take a step or 2 but she won't unless she has to and she appears to struggle to stay on her feet, falling towards the right. She is looking worse as the day goes on, really not standing at all. Any suggestions or treatments out there? [​IMG]

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Sorry, but it could just be so many different things. I would definitely bring her in - keep her in a cat or dog crate to limit mobility in case it's a leg injury...perhaps coming off the roost and landing wrong (twisting something). I would observe her closely over the next day or so; Is she eating/drinking?? If she is, I'd think more along the lines of injury rather than illness or stroke (or something along those lines).

3. richardsfamily

richardsfamily New Egg

Sep 28, 2011
    I caged her as soon as I found her injured. Initially, she was taking water but nothing for several hours. I am starting to suspect she may have a neck injury. She is exhibiting reflexive movement of her legs but nothing that looks purposeful. She can no longer rest on her breast but is laying on her side with both her feet curled up. We'll see what morning brings. Poor Baby.....

4. teach1rusl

[​IMG] Ohhh...that sounds bad. Something that sudden makes me think you're right...neck injury, or possibly stroke...something along those lines. I hope she pulls out of it, but it doesn't sound good. [​IMG]

5. richardsfamily

richardsfamily New Egg

Sep 28, 2011
    My chicken can't hold her head up now. I was able to examine the bone structure in her neck (since she can't resist anymore). I did not find anything that seemed like an injury. After a lot of research, it looks like Marek's disease. I read if a chicken has the paralyzed neck symptom of Marek's, she will die since she can't eat or drink. Is there any way to feed her? I am guessing she can't swallow with her neck paralyzed. [​IMG]

6. fancyfeathers38

fancyfeathers38 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    Australia.
    How old is she? I agree this does sound alot like Mareks. We had a hen with this and she didnt make it. There is no known cure for mareks, or so I have read and the only thing that you can really do about it is to have your birds vaccinated for it or to make sure they are vaccinated when you buy them.
    Im so sorry I cant do anything else. [​IMG]

7. ChirpNEggBaby

ChirpNEggBaby Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2011
    West Central, FL
    Sometimes...you have to just let them go...when they are down on their side, its not looking good for them. Just make her comfortable, dont force food or water as that just causes more stress and stop handling her. Just rest in a quiet place and either she'll magically get up or the Chicken Angels will come take her. So sorry....

8. teach1rusl

R's family - any updates on your girl???

9. thechickenwhisperer24

thechickenwhisperer24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2011
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by