what could be wrong with my hen? - PLEASE HELP

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hennyjenn, May 12, 2010.

1. hennyjenn

hennyjenn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    IN
    I have a flock of ten 11 month old layers, five different breeds. Only one of black australorps is sick. It started about 10 days ago. Her vent feathers were covered in white stuff and something white was sticking out of her. I thought she had parasites and separated her until she had solid poos and laid an egg. I think that was the last egg she laid. On Monday, she spent the day on the roost in the coop and her comb was pale. I decided she was egg bound, gave her a bath, did a little exam, and separated her again. I could not feel an egg either through her belly or internally. She has not been eating much but has been drinking. Her poo is very small, but she is passing. She has been in the dark with a brooder lamp (set several feet above her) since Monday, but her comb now has white tips. Any thoughts on what could be wrong with her and what I can do for her?

ETA: She started acting off about a week after we got our new chicks, though there was very little interaction between them. It was also very close to the time we got our ducklings - same thing, though - very little/no interaction. In my amateur diagnosis, I've gone through: parasites, egg bound, lymphoid leukosis, cocci, and internal layer. (Sometimes its a bad thing to have "the Chicken Health Handbook" [​IMG] )

Last edited: May 13, 2010
  2. Damummis

Damummis Chickenista

Apr 29, 2009
    Mid-Coast
    Have you tried ACV in her water?
    I really don't have much to go on, maybe another member can pipe in and help.

3. hoosier

hoosier Chillin' With My Peeps

Try coaxing her to eat to keep her strength up. Eggs - hard boiled or scrambled, tinned sweetcorn, oatmeal with Karo syrup are all popular with mine.
    I am sorry I don't know what is wrong with her, but don't give up yet. [​IMG]
    I am sure someone more knowledgeable than I will be along soon with a diagnosis.

4. hennyjenn

Apr 26, 2010
    IN
    I offered her a little buffet of hard cooked egg yolk, tuna, and plain yogurt tonight - she gobbled it up. I'll give her more in the morning. She is drinking lots; I've added garlic and ACV to her water.

5. hennyjenn

Apr 26, 2010
    IN
    She has now had three such meals, and I think she has some colour to her comb. I hope it is not just wishful thinking on my part.

How much longer should I keep her isolated and/or in the dark?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by