What could be wrong with my hen's wing?-HELP/Update-She can't balance!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jiff, Sep 16, 2010.

1. Jiff

Jiff Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2009
    Bennett, NC
    My Dominique hen Esmerelda has something wrong with her wing, and I was wondering if you guys can help me figure out if it might be sprained, broken, etc. She has been holding the shoulder low on that wing all day, and when we pet her and she goes to squat, she only raises the normal wing/shoulder. It isn't dragging the ground or anything, it is just sitting lower than usual and she doesn't move it around. She doesn't have it tucked close to her body like the other wing. We gently pulled it out to see if we could tell if anything might be broken and she didn't act like it hurt and everything looked like it was in place. They have an outside area but don't free range, so they only way that I can think of that she could have hurt herself is if she fell off of the ramp that leads out. Does anyone know how I can tell if it is broken, or if she may have just sprained it somehow? I also don't know how to tell if she's hurt the wing or her shoulder. What would treatments be for a break or even just a sprain? Thanks in advance for any advice!

Last edited: Sep 17, 2010
  2. Chickengal505

Chickengal505 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Bolivia N.C
    Pray animals are very good at hiding sickness and injury. Therefore the wing is most likely broken. Try vet tape (or girly hair foam that work well just have to tye it) or human stick to its self only tapes that look like ace bandages. Hold the wing close to the body in the correct position and wrap her wing up losely but tightly enough so she cant slip it off. The tape should go under the other wing though the (wing pit i suppose). Around her whole body and over her bad wing again until it is taped down tightish/looseish And she can not move it. thats all ive got in the way of help Best wishes

3. Jiff

Jiff Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2009
    Bennett, NC
    Thank you very much for the advice!! Now I have another question about getting her wing wrapped up. We got some vet tape and wrapped over her wing just like Chickengal505 told us to. She couldn't use her wing but it was still loose enough for her to breathe. We had waited until the evening so that she would be a little calmer, so when we were done we put her out in the coop on her roost. She stayed on for a few seconds, and then fell off. We tried to put her on a few more times but then she kept falling. I guess that the bandage is throwing off her balance. Here are pictures of the wrap, so you can see if I should be doing anything differently:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am pretty sure that something is at least fractured in her wing because she tried to fly while we were getting the bandage on her and made sad, hurt-sounding clucks when she flapped her wing. If there is any way that I can bandage her up but still let her stay balanced and walk good, please let me know. I need to help her wing heal, but if she can't walk or roost at night then she won't be any better off. Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by