What could be wrong?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jomary2013, Jun 25, 2016.

1. jomary2013

jomary2013 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2015
    My chicken has been eating, drinking water good but I've noticed that she's been breathing heavy. I notice it more when it's getting late outside. She's also been pooping green and hasn't been laying eggs. She's 3 years old. What could be wrong? Any remedies? Please help.

2. Gresh

Gresh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    North Carolina
    Sorry to hear your hen isn't up to par. I hope I can help.

Do you mind posting pictures of her poop? I know it sounds gross, but often the feces can be good indicators of a disease or other problems.

The heavy breathing would seem to imply a respiratory infection, but I have had chickens injured before who breathed heavy because of the stress and pain and not because of any lung diseases.

Her stop in laying is probably directly related to whatever is wrong with her. Hens that have diseases, injuries, or parasite infestations will often cease laying if their bodies are stressed enough.

Like I said, please post poop pics, and let us know anything else that may be helpful. If you have an avian vet nearby, it might be a good idea to get her checked out. Also, try calling your local vets...I didn't know that I had an avian vet in my area until I went to our normal vet and found out that they have an avian vet as a member of their staff. The price for check-ups has been very reasonable.

~Gresh~

3. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Yes, I agree photos will be helpful - of the poo and of her?

What does her abdomen feel like?
    How long has it been since she last laid an egg - was it normal?
    Does she move around ok, does she stand abnormally?
    The breathing heavy, any other symptoms that go with that, wheezing, coughing, sneezing?

4. Gresh

Jul 9, 2011
    North Carolina
    Wyorp Rock is probably thinking what I'm thinking: egg-binding, which is something that needs treated ASAP.

If the abdomen is hard (except for the keel bone, of course) and swollen, and if she seems to be having trouble moving around, this is probably egg-binding. When this gets serious enough it can only be cured by surgery, but I have had two hens that got egg-bound and I was able to cure them with warm baths, gentle massaging of the abdomen, plenty of fresh water, and isolation from the rest of the flock.

5. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Egg binding is a definite possibility.

I was leaning more toward an internal laying/reproductive disorder like Peritonitis.

Warm bath and massage, separation, food and water are an excellent idea regardless of what is going on.
    Separation is a good way to monitor food/water intake, crop function and give supportive care if needed.

http://www.chickenvet.co.uk/health-and-common-diseases/egg-laying-issues/index.aspx
    http://scoopfromthecoop.nutrenaworld.com/tag/laying-issues/
    http://www.hobbyfarms.com/livestock-and-pets/6-causes-of-chicken-swollen-abdomen.aspx

1 person likes this.
  6. Gresh

Jul 9, 2011
    North Carolina
    I totally agree. The warm bath and massage, in particular, have been very helpful for me with two of my hens that had similar problems.

7. jomary2013

Jun 12, 2015
    [​IMG] she's been pooping like this

8. jomary2013

Jun 12, 2015

It's been for like 1 or 2 months now and she laid one about 3 weeks ago but it was just the egg shell. She's been eating, drinking water good. She stands the same. No coughing or sneezing. Just heavy breathing.

9. jomary2013

Jun 12, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by