What could cause all my female ducks to stop laying?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by EmAbTo48, Sep 3, 2011.

1. EmAbTo48

EmAbTo48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Northern Wisconsin
    All haven't laid in egg for 4 weeks now! They were molting, but how long will it take them to start up again? The male isn't mating either. Is it the cold air coming in for winter that causes no eggs? And no mating?

I don't think there stressed... nothings changed from there routine!

2. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    Some breeds are seasonal layers. Molting will cause them to stop laying. I'm not sure how long it takes them to start up again, though.

3. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    My BEI's are molting now and they won't lay anymore eggs until next March or April. [​IMG]

4. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    yep both above post are right.
    Most all ducks lay from Feb- Now. once they molt, they are usually done. In most cases the males will be sterile for a while during and after the molt.
    So unless you have some of those utilty ducks bred for year round laying, well the season is just over. I havent gotten a duck egg here in 6 weeks personally.

5. newbyduckmom

newbyduckmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    I thought breeds like Khaki's and Magpies and such would lay year round with adequate light - 12-14 hours? Light hasn't dropped below that yet here.

6. 1234duck

1234duck Chillin' With My Peeps

My Rouen hen and Golden Cascade hen have stopped laying. All my ducks are molting now.. ~Julie~

7. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    Quote:they would be the utilty breeds bred for egg production, they are the exception not the rule, and even when they molt they often stop too

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by