What could cause this poo?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by thistlecreek, Sep 6, 2014.

1. thistlecreek

thistlecreek Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2014
    Central Iowa
    The hen that had this poo has become progressively more lethargic. She's still moving about the lawn, but not nearly like she normally does. she still eats ok. It has been pretty warm the past 3 days but today the temperature should be much cooler.
    This hen has never been a consistent layer, but it has been about 8 days since her last egg (she's our only white layer). Her eggs have been a bit thin-shelled despite free access to oyster shell. I did not feel any egg down there yesterday.

We had to cull our other Ancona 3 weeks ago after similar symptoms (that were more severe) and when I necropsied her, the only remarkable finding were a bunch of cyst-like structures in the viscera around her intestines. We still don't know what took her down We had wormed that hen with fenbendazole with no improvement. The Ancona we culled had never laid an egg (despite being 6 months old).

Any ideas? Could egg yolk peritonitis could cause this in the current hen, since she had been previously laying thin shelled eggs. Our other 5 ladies are doing fine and are laying machines. All our hens were vaccinated for coccidiosis & Marek's as chicks. They free range and are fed an organic diet.
    [​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It's possible that she could develop egg yolk peritonitis if she has had any eggs break inside. The heat may be causing the watery stools if she has been drinking a lot of water. I would put vitamins and electrolytes in the water every other day while the weather is very hot. On alternate days I would use a probiotic in the water. Those will help with immunity. Worming may also help with laying. It's amazing that you have had 2 anconas who didn't lay well--the 3 year olds I have from Meyer Hatchery lay almost every day.

3. thistlecreek

thistlecreek Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2014
    Central Iowa
    Yes we are pretty disappointed with these Anconas. We got both of them from Murray McMurray and are wondering if their genetics are just duds (maybe the rooster they used threw bad laying genetics?). They were/are beauties though. Clover is definitely moving around a bit more today that it is cooler, but I'm still concerned since we haven't gotten an egg in so long. I will give the suggestions a try! Thank you!

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Make sure they have plenty of crushed oyster shell or crushed egg shells around. I drop it right by their feeders, and they will eat the egg shells if I give them as a treat. They take breaks from laying from time to time due to the heat, the cold, if they have worms or something else going on health-wise, and also during the annual molt, which is starting up here with mine. If yours are only 6 months, you won't see that until next year.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by