What could change the color of an egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by fasschicks, Feb 2, 2014.

1. fasschicks

fasschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2013
    South Central Wisconsin
    My Giant Jersey/Silkie girl, Elvis, has had a weird week of laying eggs. Her color went from a consistent light brown to an almost creamy brown/pink color. At first I thought it was excess calcium but not sure.
    [​IMG]

The two darker eggs were laid early last week and then all of a sudden they turned the creamy color. I also believe that she laid a paper egg while on the roost one night and then took several days off which is unusual for her. She normally lays 8 to 10 days in a row then takes one off.

it almost looks like they are starting to get a bit darker towards the end of the row. The last one was laid today. Just curious if anybody has an idea of what causes this or if this was just a hiccup in her system.

Fass

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/vm047 That's interesting, she is the only one who did it? Reading what the UF article says, it sounds like something was stressing her for a few days or she was exposed to a drug?

3. fasschicks

fasschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2013
    South Central Wisconsin
    Thank you, that is an interesting article. Well, it is definitely not any drugs as they do not get anything and there is nothing to be accidentally exposed to. We did have an incident last week when 1 of our EEs stop laying all of a sudden. We had to go out into the coop twice and did a physical exam to rule out a stuck egg. That was the same night Elvis layed the paper egg. Plus we have had pretty cold temps lately. Maybe she was just stressed out?

I think our EE might be going through molt. No stuck egg but losing some feathers now. We have only had our girls for 4 months so all of this is new to us. Learning something new every day.

Fass

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by